Slide scanner?

Norfolk Archives Network

Jun 27, 2022, 6:10:37 AM6/27/22
to Norfolk Archives Network
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone have access to a slide scanner and/or any experience of scanning slides, which they could share with our CAS3 group from the Dragon Hall Heritage Volunteers? They have about 200 slides they'd like to digitise.
Thanks
Sophie

Imogen Radford

Jun 27, 2022, 6:54:54 AM6/27/22
to Norfolk Archives Network

Hi Sophie

Yes, I do have experience.

You need a high quality high spec flatbed scanner that can specifically do transparencies and slides. These look and work similar to an ordinary flatbed scanner, with the addition of little frames that you fit the slides into. It’s a little fiddly but can have excellent results, as the original slides would be high quality.

The trouble is you probably wouldn’t want to buy such a scanner if you only have a single use, as they are quite expensive. Perhaps someone who has one might lend you it just for those slides? I’m too far away and the scanner I use for this occasionally is not generally available to me, also has to work on an older operating system, otherwise I would offer to loan it. With a couple of months notice I could do so, if you are stuck for any other options.

Best wishes

Imogen

Norfolk Archives Network

Jun 27, 2022, 7:02:40 AM6/27/22
to Norfolk Archives Network, imog...@googlemail.com
Thanks Imogen - that's really helpful. If we can't locate on i will ask you, but hopefully on closer to hand will appear! Sophie

Trevor Ogden

Jun 27, 2022, 7:15:43 AM6/27/22
to Norfolk Archives Network
Sophie
My domestic flatbed scanner is an HP Scanjet 5590P which has an attachment for scanning slides.  I have done scores if not hundreds from my youth.  As Imogen says, it is easy though fairly time-consuming.  You could borrow it, but as the kit is obsolete the driving software might be a problem.  I am in Dereham, and it would be easier if you brought your slides over here and I'll show you how, and you can spend a happy afternoon, sometime when I'm not using the computer.  Email me if you want to follow it up Og...@ogs.org.uk.
Or if you search for slide scanner on Amazon you will see that they are not too expensive if you want that facility permanently.
Trevor

Trevor Ogden
Dereham, Norfolk, UK

Jill Wright

Jun 27, 2022, 2:17:09 PM6/27/22
to Norfolk Archives Network
I have a slide copier given for our Mulbarton project. Have done some copying reasonably successfully, but still have loads more to do. Happy to lend if anyone can collect, but would need it back to finish our own copying.
Jill