Lecture on Marginalized Voices in Archives

Robin Sampson

Jan 18, 2021, 10:35:26 AM1/18/21
to Norfolk Archives Network
Dear all,

I came across this short lecture discussing bias and marginalisation of particular groups in ''official' archives. This is important when thinking about how community archives can 'fill in the gaps' of the official historical record and give researchers the opportunities to learn about people whose voices are otherwise 'silenced'.

it would be interesting to see what you think!

Peter Lavender

Jan 18, 2021, 11:08:08 AM1/18/21
to Norfolk Archives Network, Robin Sampson
Dear Robin,

This is a helpful reminder of how archives can give voice to those who have not been heard.  We would like to see more challenges like this circulated.  Even though Margaret Dewsbury talked of archives being "a wonderful aid to community cohesion and integration” in the press release there was little mention of equality, diversity and inclusion in the original application.  So, yes please, can we have more postings like this one?

Many thanks,
Peter Lavender
Martham Archive Group