Tell us about your events!

Norfolk Archives Network

Jun 8, 2021, 4:25:47 AM6/8/21
to Norfolk Archives Network
Dear all,

as restrictions continue to lift gradually, some of you may be planning to hold events to show off your collections. If your group is putting on any special events, such as open days, exhibitions, talks or tours, then please let us know on the Forum. Let's see what everyone has to offer!

p.s. Do make sure you click 'reply to all' in your replies, so that everyone in the group can see them!

Elvie Herd

Jun 10, 2021, 9:01:55 AM6/10/21
to Norfolk Archives Network, Susan Caroline Webb

Loddon & District Local History Group

We will be taking part in the Lockdown Unlocked weekend in Holy Trinity Church Loddon on on July 3rd  10.00-4.30 & 4th 12.00-4.30, with boards illustrating some of what has been done during lockdown, including involvement in the Archive Project, rewriting and publishing our booklet "The Changing Face of Chedgrave", a succession of display boards in Youngs' the undertakers window in Bridge Street Loddon using material from the Archive, and work on Georeferencing the Tithe Maps for Loddon and the neighbouring parishes to help us understand land use, ownership and occupation.

Copies of the Chedgrave book and the Guided Historical Walk will be on sale

Elvie Herd

Robin Sampson

Jun 11, 2021, 7:00:40 AM6/11/21
to Norfolk Archives Network, elvie...@gmail.com, Susan Caroline Webb
Thank you very much Elvie, that all sounds very interesting! Would anyone else like to advertise any events?

Imogen Radford

Jun 21, 2021, 12:33:28 PM6/21/21
to Norfolk Archives Network

Hi all

This isn't an event, nor is it showing off a collection, but it is the first real life activity in the Tales from the River project – a training session and volunteer discussion to get things going in researching a particular theme across the whole of the Brecks area. Once we have gathered material we will displaying it in various ways, including in an exhibition, and then will be archiving it at a county record office.

I'd be grateful if you thought it was something of interest to anyone in your group and could pass it on.

The theme is Brecks swimming and watery recreation history.

This is our first event, at Santon Downham, 7 July: Tales from the River: Doing research and discovering the Norfolk Record Office archives

The trainer will explain how to access the archives and do your own research, and will illustrate this with examples of relevant documents/maps/material from the collection.

We will follow the training with a discussion on how volunteers can take the project forward and how we can organise doing some research and gather materials and stories on swimming and other river recreation, including involving a wider group of volunteers.

Places are limited, and we might need to set a maximum of one person from any organisation. However, we are also thinking about how we can have a wider involvement as the project develops. And we would like some help in finding people who have any stories, memories, folklore, old maps, photos or films about outdoor swimming and other watery recreation in the Brecks, and would be willing to be interviewed about these or to tell us about them.

There is more information about the first training session and the project in the attached note and here, https://www.imogensriverswims.co.uk/blog/os-brecks-2/dates-set-tales-from-the-river-project-to-start-spring-2020/.

To apply to come to the training on Wednesday 7 July, please contact me, imog...@googlemail.com.

Please also get in touch if you'd like more information or to get involved.

I have a mailing list for supporters who might be interested in getting involved, and would welcome anyone who would like to join this. I just need name and email address. I will keep personal data such as email addresses safely and not pass them on to third parties.

There is also some information on this page if anyone would like to submit stories or other information, https://www.imogensriverswims.co.uk/blog/os-brecks-2/outdoor-swimming-photos-or-stories-to-share/

I would be very grateful if you could pass this on to members or to anyone you think might be interested.

I look forward to hearing from you and am really looking forward to this long planned and anticipated project beginning to come to life.

Best wishes

Imogen

Imogen Radford

Tales from the River and Healing Waters projects lead

07932 137 593

imog...@googlemail.com

www.imogensriverswims.co.uk/blog/os-brecks-2/

@OSBrecks: