how to donate a body of work documenting Norfolk churches

Jennifer Toll

Apr 7, 2021, 3:45:53 PM4/7/21
to Norfolk Archives Network
My friend Peter Stephens of Bawburgh has recently died, and left behind a large body of  enthusiastic and  carefully detailed  research into Norfolk country churches, their architecture, local history, and idiosyncracies, including a photographic record of each church and specific or unusual features; the result of many years of painstaking work.
     His wife, Carol Stephens, is at a loss to know what to do with this rather wonderful collection, which deserves to be archived somewhere and made available to others interested in this area of study, students possibly, etc., and I am trying to help by investigating what options are open to preserving this unique collection.
    We would be most grateful for any suggestions, or directions to other historical groups who might be interested in acquiring these fascinating records.
    In hopes

Imogen Radford

Apr 8, 2021, 6:55:43 AM4/8/21
to Jennifer Toll, Norfolk Archives Network
I know someone to ask in the field of church documenting, so I will do so
Imogen

Peter Lavender

Apr 8, 2021, 12:59:14 PM4/8/21
to Norfolk Archives Network, Jennifer Toll
Dear Jennifer,

Ann Meakin (President of Martham Local History Group) tells me about The Centre for Parish Church Studies who might be interested.  They are based at St Martin at Palace redundant church, Norwich.  See their web site: https://www.nhct-norwich.org/cpcs/

With best wishes,

Peter Lavender
Martham Local History Group

Robin Sampson

Apr 9, 2021, 7:14:31 AM4/9/21
to Norfolk Archives Network, Peter Lavender, Jennifer Toll
Dear Jennifer,

I'd like to second Peter's suggestion and there is also the option of the Norfolk Churches Trust who can be contacted at: Home - The Norfolk Churches Trust

It might be useful to make an inventory or 'box list' of the collection, and also take a few photos of sample records, so that potential repositories have a good idea of what it contains. You can find information on how to do this here: Making a box list - Archives (norfolk.gov.uk)

If you have trouble finding someone to take in the collection, it might be worth trying the Norfolk Record Office at nor...@norfolk.gov.uk

best wishes,

Robin