Invitation to share your websites!

Norfolk Archives Network

Sep 22, 2020, 7:08:35 AM9/22/20
to Norfolk Archives Network
Dear all,

many of the groups the project team have spoken to are interested in developing or improving their websites so that they can make their collections more accessible.

If you would like to share your websites, please reply to this post with a link, and any tips or comments about how your group set them up, what you display on them and what features you are most pleased with. This will be really useful for everyone to get an idea of what they can do with their own website.

We look forward to seeing your websites!

Jill Wright

Sep 23, 2020, 6:06:56 AM9/23/20
to Norfolk Archives Network, Norfolk Archives Network
MULBARTON is at www.mulbarton history.org.uk

I'm webmaster for all of them - and they have LINKS to some other local sites but happy to add more and share information....

Jill

his...@wherryalbion.com

Sep 24, 2020, 8:50:53 AM9/24/20
to Norfolk Archives Network

The Archive of the Norfolk Wherry Trust is linked to  the Trusts main site and  can be found via the History drop down in the menu bar Archive Register. Search for Boat Names Place Names  People etc.

https://www.wherryalbion.com/history/

Martin Symes

GG Norfolk Archive Heritage

Sep 28, 2020, 9:22:10 AM9/28/20
to Norfolk Archives Network
Hi there

This is Girlguiding Norfolk's Archive Resource Centre website.... which includes a link through to our Facebook Page.... we aim to post once a day on the Facebook group, and try to update  the website 'regularly' - and of course that depends on what is going on.

You will see that we put our recent Heritage Open Days offer on our website, and also held a virtual camp in May tied in with VE75 commemorations where everyone was given the opportunity to see if they could achieve the challenges the young women had to do to be selected to go to Europe as part of guiding's army of peace, the Guide International Service. This was delivered via a Facebook closed group, but also mirrored as far as on the website.  Have a look at the videos on YouTube too to see how the challenges were set out!!

We have a quiz on the Facebook page to encourage people to search and read the posts... and there is a badge you can ask for, having submitted your answers. We are trying hard to get our collection out there using social media and website in these interesting times.

We also try to Tweet and use Instagram (more appropriate for the younger people) regularly.... but all these social media aspects are a big project and we really need another volunteer to manage that whole side of things! Any volunteers out there?!
(Please follow us!)

I hope you enjoy! Comments welcome!

Best wishes
Helen
Girlguiding Norfolk County Archivist

nr16tube

Sep 30, 2020, 1:44:17 PM9/30/20
to Norfolk Archives Network, ggnorfol...@gmail.com
Dear all
You may care to look at our village archive website that has 300+ old photos, documents, essays and maps.
It has an associated Facebook page with which it interlinks.
The site was built using a graphic-style website design program that Photoshop users will find relatively easy to use. WordPress is not easy for graphics!
I hope you find it of interest.
Charles

Charles Butcher

Oct 2, 2020, 5:44:14 AM10/2/20
to Norfolk Archives Network, davidandj...@googlemail.com, Norfolk Archives Network
Great-looking sites there, Jill!

Charles Butcher

Oct 2, 2020, 5:49:40 AM10/2/20
to Norfolk Archives Network, Charles Butcher, davidandj...@googlemail.com, Norfolk Archives Network

The local history pages on stanhoe.org have a few things that may be of interest, such as oral history recordings.

Jill Wright

Oct 2, 2020, 2:47:43 PM10/2/20
to Norfolk Archives Network
It is certainly worth having a means for people to CONTACT the webmaster or another specific person - either through a contact form on the site, or if you have a free site then by giving an e-mail address in a form that can't be harvested such as putting (space) at (space) instead of @.
Overnight I had a message via our contact form from a lady in Michigan, USA asking to use a photo on the site (which was OK - I took it!) and has since supplied me with all sorts of extra pieces of information about the artist Sir Alfred Munnings and his visits to Mulbarton! I have info on the relatives who lived here and with whom he stayed, but until now knew little or nothing about the work he did here!
So you never know what interesting information might turn up from the other side of the world!!
Jill

Charles Butcher

Oct 5, 2020, 9:32:04 AM10/5/20
to Norfolk Archives Network, davidandj...@googlemail.com
+1 to Jill's endorsement of contact forms. At Stanhoe I've had all sorts of useful information from former inhabitants, plus family tree stuff from the USA and Australia, and even a really interesting contact from Germany.

Adrian O'dell

Oct 8, 2020, 4:56:13 AM10/8/20
to Norfolk Archives Network, Norfolk Archives Network
Here's the Norfolk Polish Heritage Group link:

peterb...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2020, 8:12:23 AM10/11/20
to Norfolk Archives Network, Norfolk Archives Network
Hello everyone from Fakenham & District Community Archive.
Please feel free to browse our website where you can explore a small portion of the 20,000 or so digital images, which have been donated to us by members of the public throughout the past 18 years.

The initial aim of Fakenham & District Community Archive was to digitally collect images of local history of Fakenham and surrounding villages, to be shared county-wide in preparation for a national website (using COMMA software). Funding for COMMA ceased in 2005, and an independent group of local volunteers continued to run the group.

The decision was made in 2011 to create our own website, opting for the free hosting service provided by weebly.com, this was achieved in-house by our small committee of volunteers.

We like Weebly because unlike some ‘free’ providers, Weebly doesn’t populate our pages with annoying adverts, robbing us of valuable space. In addition, we have a Facebook page linked to from our website.

All images and graphics that appear on both platforms, including watermarks, are processed using an old version of PhotoShop, Creative Suite 2 to be precise, which still serves our purpose extremely well.

Because there's lots of information our website about us, our core objectives and a summary of our evolution as a group, I feel there is no need to explain further here.

We’ve enjoyed exploring with interest sites that have already been posted on NAN.

We hope you equally enjoy Fakenham & District Community Archive. -

Comments welcome!

Best wishes on behalf of our team

Peter Boggis
Website and Archive Manager
Fakenham & District Community Archive.

celia sutton

Oct 21, 2020, 9:35:36 AM10/21/20
to Norfolk Archives Network, peterb...@gmail.com, Norfolk Archives Network
The Brundall Local History Group website, brundallvillagehistory.org, was set up a few years ago, with help from Ludham Archive, by committee member Wendy, who was then in her eighties. She continued to manage it into her 90th year and is still on our committee, although I now look after the website.

The platform is a free one called Sea Monkey, which is a bit cumbersome (I frequently find I have to go into the html source code to get it to behave) so we are planning to switch to Weebly, which I use for another site I manage. We want to keep our URL so I presume we will have to take a subscription. I think Wendy did a fantastic job to fill the site, but Weebly's galleries and video options will allow us to upload more of our thousands of images, and we will get a better design.

I'm not a fan of watermarking, so I'm interested in the comments already on this forum about it. (For example, if you watermark, do you position the mark individually depending on the image? Does that not look untidy? If you do it in batches, do some fail to show up if they are against a dark part of the photo?)

I'm also interested in people's experiences of social media. How best to start?

Celia Sutton

Peter Boggis

Oct 24, 2020, 3:59:25 AM10/24/20
to celia sutton, Norfolk Archives Network

Hello Celia, I don’t know if this helps, but for reasons that you mention we prefer to watermark images individually while preparing each for website use.

This allows us greater flexibility in respect of position, opacity and final presentation.
Standardising the size of web images and watermark templates can greatly simplify this process too.

We’ve created two watermark templates, one for standard landscape images and another for portraits.
A new page that we recently created illustrates this.

Out of interest, what software programs do you currently use to process images for web use?

Best wishes

Peter Boggis
Website and Archive Manager
Fakenham Community Archive

celia sutton

Oct 24, 2020, 4:56:38 PM10/24/20
to Norfolk Archives Network, peterb...@gmail.com, Norfolk Archives Network, celia sutton
Thanks Peter,
Useful to see, and what a shame the wisteria has gone. As I've said to you before, I think the Fakenham site is excellent.

I use paint.net, which is similar to Photoshop in the way it looks, but of course is much more limited. I used Photoshop at work in a limited way, and on an old laptop I still have a version of it, but it won't transfer to my current laptop.

Celia

celia sutton

Jan 2, 2021, 2:26:51 PM1/2/21
to Norfolk Archives Network, celia sutton, peterb...@gmail.com, Norfolk Archives Network
Ridiculously I managed to get our own URL wrong... it's brundallvillagehistory.org.uk.

Celia