Tuesday Night Zwift Ride (2/16)

Michael T. Bello

Feb 14, 2021, 2:39:37 PM2/14/21
to NCC Discussion Group

On Tuesday at 8 PM, I’m planning the Greater London Flat route (https://www.strava.com/segments/15389276). This will be a 60 minute ride.

If anyone is interested, just follow me on Zwift (Michael Bello - NCC) and I'll add you to the invite. If you follow me, please send me a note.

A few recommendations...

Zwift now allows late joiners to Meetups, but it does not always work. Give yourself a few extra minutes to join the ride anyway (on Zwift 5 minutes before the ride would be ideal).

Please wear the NCC jersey. This makes it easier to recognize who is in the group. On a computer, log into Zwift, once riding, press “P” on you keyboard and enter NCCMAKIT. After that, you can use the jersey on any device running Zwift (laptop, tablet, phone, etc.).

Our previous rides were enhanced with conversations on Discord. After installing Discord, ˙˙use the NCC invite to join the conversation: https://discordapp.com/invite/uXdHm7m

If you are new to Discord, I recommend this article on ZwiftInsider: https://zwiftinsider.com/using-discord/. Please pay particular attention to Step 4: "Discord automatically places you in the text chat channel, which isn’t where you want to be. Click the hamburger menu (3 lines at top-left) to view all the channels on the server. Click “General” under voice channels, then click “Connect to Voice” to join the general voice chat."

I also recommend testing Discord out prior to the ride. Feel free to contact me if you want to test Discord.

Michael T. Bello

Feb 16, 2021, 10:50:01 PM2/16/21
to NCC Discussion Group, Michael T. Bello
On tonight's ride through London, we had eight riders (Charlie, Chris, Henry, Kathryn, Melissa, Tim, Zinj, and me).

In our 60 minutes riding  the Greater London Flat route, we covered approximately 21.6 miles with 315 feet of climbing. For most of us, it was a nice flat hour, which was beneficial for those of us who raced last night.

Melissa, taking a page from Zinj, decided to "rest" by climbing the Alpe du Zwift. She earned the gloves at the top. She is 90% of the way to the Tron bike and in a "race" with Dusty to see who will earn it first.

The group welcomed Kathryn, who joined her first NCC Zwift group ride this evening.

Everyone was on Discord. Zinj was on he e-rollers again this evening. I told him about this video (https://twitter.com/RubyWIsaac/status/1361635294169206789). Soon, I hope to see him flipping pancakes while riding on the rollers.

Henry and Zwift were not cooperating this evening. Zwift took him in a completely different direction and up Box Hill, but he still chatted with us.

We also discussed last night's race, the upcoming hill climb, and Zwift in general.

Tim and Kathryn earned the Greater London Flat route achievement, which doubled their XP points for the first lap. Tim finished level 7 and earned his avatar the Vintage Kit Pack. Kathryn completed level 3 and can now wear the Zwift Glasses. Melissa earned the Avid Climber jersey for her fifth time up the Alpe du Zwift. She also earned the Road to Sky route achievement badge.

Here is the NCC Zwift schedule:

- Mon afternoon - Road Race (times will vary between 5 PM and 7 PM EST)
- Tue 8:00 PM - Social Ride (invite required)
- Thu 5:30 PM - Time Trial / Hill Climb (solo effort, TT bike required) (invite required)
- Sat 9:00 AM - Social Ride (invite required)

Follow Michael Bello on Zwift for invites to the invite-only rides.

Check the calendar page at www.nohobikeclub.org for full details on all events.