Saturday Morning Zwift Ride (1/9)

Michael T. Bello

Jan 3, 2021, 1:26:37 PMJan 3
to NCC Discussion Group

On Saturday at 9 AM, I’m planning the Knickerbocker route in New York. (https://www.strava.com/segments/19141299). This will be a 90 minute ride.

If anyone is interested, just follow me on Zwift (Michael Bello - NCC) and I'll add you to the invite. If you follow me, please send me a note.

A few recommendations...

Zwift now allows late joiners to Meetups, but it does not always work. Give yourself a few extra minutes to join the ride anyway (on Zwift 5 minutes before the ride would be ideal).

Please wear the NCC jersey. This makes it easier to recognize who is in the group. On a computer, log into Zwift, once riding, press “P” on you keyboard and enter NCCMAKIT. After that, you can use the jersey on any device running Zwift (laptop, tablet, phone, etc.).

Our previous rides were enhanced with conversations on Discord. After installing Discord, ˙˙use the NCC invite to join the conversation: https://discordapp.com/invite/uXdHm7m

If you are new to Discord, I recommend this article on ZwiftInsider: https://zwiftinsider.com/using-discord/. Please pay particular attention to Step 4: "Discord automatically places you in the text chat channel, which isn’t where you want to be. Click the hamburger menu (3 lines at top-left) to view all the channels on the server. Click “General” under voice channels, then click “Connect to Voice” to join the general voice chat."

I also recommend testing Discord out prior to the ride. Feel free to contact me if you want to test Discord.

Michael T. Bello

Jan 9, 2021, 11:57:49 AMJan 9
to NCC Discussion Group, Michael T. Bello

This morning's ride took us to futuristic Central Park in New York City. We had twelve riders (Andrew, Ashley, Charlie, Chris, Dusty, Joe, John, Melissa, Sean, Tim, Zinj, and me).

We completed just about two laps of the Knickerbocker route, which took us to the second level of Central Park (remember, this is the future NYC). During our 90 minute ride, we went approximately 27.1 miles with 2,379 feet of climbing.

Everyone was on Discord today. Chris was having challenges loading Zwift, but eventually got it running. We discussed Thursday's time trial results and strategies for next week's Alpe du Zwift hill climb. Zwift set ups, including headphones for Discord and how our phones are propped up was also a topic. We may create an article for the website since that topic may be of interest to others. Shockingly, there was no power meter discussions today. Charlie is picking up his new puppy this afternoon, so hopefully we will see the new dog on Discord soon. Although, the puppy may scare Zinj's cat, who makes regular appearances on NCC rides. Charlie also explained how hitting "G" on the keyboard (or through the Companion app) displays the Zwift graph for your ride.

Dusty, Melissa, and Zinj earned the Knickerbocker route achievement, which doubled their XP points for the first lap. John completed level 19 and earned his avatar the Level 20 Kit. I finished level 46 and may now wear the Zwift vintage googles.

Here is the NCC Zwift schedule:

- Mon afternoon - Road Race (times will vary between 5 PM and 7 PM EST)
- Tue 8:00 PM - Social Ride (invite required)
- Thu 5:30 PM - Time Trial / Hill Climb (solo effort, TT bike required) (invite required)
- Sat 9:00 AM - Social Ride (invite required)

Follow Michael Bello on Zwift for invites to the invite-only rides.

Check the calendar page at www.nohobikeclub.org for full details on all events.