Saturday Morning Zwift Race/Ride (4/17)

Michael T. Bello

Apr 15, 2021, 10:46:59 PM4/15/21
to NCC Discussion Group
With the colder weather forecast for Saturday, a few of us are planning to ride/race the  Tour of Watopia Stage 4: Short Ride (B): https://www.zwift.com/events/view/1992260

This is a 16.6 mile ride on the Serpentine 8 course. It is mostly dirt, so a mountain bike will be the fastest type of bike to use.

Our previous rides were enhanced with conversations on Discord. After installing Discord, use the NCC invite to join the conversation: https://discordapp.com/invite/uXdHm7m

If you are new to Discord, I recommend this article on ZwiftInsider: https://zwiftinsider.com/using-discord/. Please pay particular attention to Step 4: "Discord automatically places you in the text chat channel, which isn’t where you want to be. Click the hamburger menu (3 lines at top-left) to view all the channels on the server. Click “General” under voice channels, then click “Connect to Voice” to join the general voice chat."

I also recommend testing Discord out prior to the ride. Feel free to contact me if you want to test Discord.

Michael T. Bello

Apr 17, 2021, 2:24:41 PM4/17/21
to NCC Discussion Group, Michael T. Bello
This morning, Melissa and I raced the Tour of Watopia Stage 4: Shorter Ride.

The Serpentine 8 was the route for the event. This is 95% on dirt, so mountain bikes were the best choice for the ride.

In total, we went 16.6 miles with 653 feet of climbing.

As the domestique, some would argue a super domestique, my job was to put Melissa in position for a top finish. I performed my task like a champion and expertly guided Melissa through the first 3.5 miles of the race. After that, she was well positioned for the next 13.1 miles. As soon as I crossed the line, I loosened the BOA dial on my new shoes!

Here are the results according to Zwift Power:

- Melissa Warwick, 29th, Time: 47:19
- Michael Bello, 85th, Time: 51:45

This was good practice for the outdoor Time Trial on Tuesday.

Zinj appeared on Discord during the cooldown to check on the Hatfield road conditions for this afternoon. Hatfield only had rain yesterday, but Melissa reported that Shutesbury had close to 14 inches of snow!

Thursday nights at 8 PM are the Zwift social rides. Follow Michael Bello on Zwift for invites to the invite-only rides.

Jaime Dávila

Apr 18, 2021, 12:53:08 PM4/18/21
to ncc-discus...@nohobikeclub.org
Well done Michael! Much better than I would have managed.