Saturday Morning Zwift Ride (12/19)

Michael T. Bello

Dec 13, 2020, 10:41:59 PM12/13/20
to NCC Discussion Group

On Saturday at 9 AM, I'm planning the "Bigger Loop” route in Watopia (https://www.strava.com/segments/20425565).

If anyone is interested, just follow me on Zwift (Michael Bello - NCC) and I'll add you to the invite. If you follow me, please send me a note.

A few recommendations...

Zwift now allows late joiners to Meetups. Give yourself a few extra minutes to join the ride anyway (on Zwift 5 minutes before the ride would be ideal).

Please wear the NCC jersey. This makes it easier to recognize who is in the group. On a computer, log into Zwift, once riding, press “P” on you keyboard and enter NCCMAKIT. After that, you can use the jersey on any device running Zwift (laptop, tablet, phone, etc.).

Our previous ride were enhanced with conversations on Discord. After installing Discord, ˙˙use the NCC invite to join the conversation: https://discordapp.com/invite/uXdHm7m

If you are new to Discord, I recommend this article on ZwiftInsider: https://zwiftinsider.com/using-discord/. Please pay particular attention to Step 4: "Discord automatically places you in the text chat channel, which isn’t where you want to be. Click the hamburger menu (3 lines at top-left) to view all the channels on the server. Click “General” under voice channels, then click “Connect to Voice” to join the general voice chat."

I also recommend testing Discord out prior to the ride. Feel free to contact me if you want to test Discord.

Michael T. Bello

Dec 19, 2020, 1:26:10 PM12/19/20
to NCC Discussion Group, Michael T. Bello
This morning, we had 12 riders (Austin, Charlie, Chris, Dan, Joe, John, Melissa, Mike, Tim, Tom, Zinj, and me ). This wasn't surprising since the temperature outside was in single digits!

We rode the Bigger Loop in Watopia. The complete route was 34 miles with 2,284 feet of climbing. It took us just over two hours to complete it.

Chris and Mike were not huge fans of ascending the Epic KOM, but at 10:24 AM this morning, Chris actually stated that it as a good climb.

On the way down the Epic KOM, many of us employed the "super tuck." Having our avatars in the super tuck (https://zwiftinsider.com/supertuck/) position seemed more special considering the UCI just banned it. In real life, none of us would be able to successfully accomplish the super tuck.

Today was Austin's first ride with us. Next time he may want to join in the conversation on Discord.

With two hours of riding, our Discord conversations covered a lot. The cold start to the day was naturally our first topic. John went snow shoeing and cross country skiing yesterday, while Charlie was going skiing this afternoon. Melissa was putting her hand(s) on the handlebar today and was putting out power. Charlie and I are getting scarred that she is returning to form. Zinj was comparing/testing two power meters. He may need a third power meter for accurate testing. As always, he is tweaking his bike fit and Chris was offering suggestions. Tim pointed out the new roads/bridges forming Watopia's four new routes as we encountered them.

Chris, Joe, Melissa, Tim, Tom, and Zinj earned the Bigger Loop route achievement, which doubled their XP points for the route. I earned the "You're Famous" badge for 30 ride ons.

Here is the NCC Zwift schedule:

- Mon afternoon - Road Race (times will vary between 5 PM and 7 PM EST)
- Tue 8:00 PM - Social Ride (invite required)
- Thu 5:30 PM - Time Trial / Hill Climb (solo effort, TT bike required) (invite required)
- Sat 9:00 AM - Social Ride (invite required)

Follow Michael Bello on Zwift for invites to the invite-only rides.

Check the calendar page at www.nohobikeclub.org for full details on all events.