Saturday Morning (Boxing Day) Zwift Ride (12/26)

Michael T. Bello

Dec 20, 2020, 5:58:48 PM12/20/20
to NCC Discussion Group

On Saturday at 9 AM, I'm planning the "London Pretzel” route in Watopia (https://www.strava.com/segments/15155838).

If anyone is interested, just follow me on Zwift (Michael Bello - NCC) and I'll add you to the invite. If you follow me, please send me a note.

A few recommendations...

Zwift now allows late joiners to Meetups. Give yourself a few extra minutes to join the ride anyway (on Zwift 5 minutes before the ride would be ideal).

Please wear the NCC jersey. This makes it easier to recognize who is in the group. On a computer, log into Zwift, once riding, press “P” on you keyboard and enter NCCMAKIT. After that, you can use the jersey on any device running Zwift (laptop, tablet, phone, etc.).

Our previous ride were enhanced with conversations on Discord. After installing Discord, ˙˙use the NCC invite to join the conversation: https://discordapp.com/invite/uXdHm7m

If you are new to Discord, I recommend this article on ZwiftInsider: https://zwiftinsider.com/using-discord/. Please pay particular attention to Step 4: "Discord automatically places you in the text chat channel, which isn’t where you want to be. Click the hamburger menu (3 lines at top-left) to view all the channels on the server. Click “General” under voice channels, then click “Connect to Voice” to join the general voice chat."

I also recommend testing Discord out prior to the ride. Feel free to contact me if you want to test Discord.

Michael T. Bello

Dec 26, 2020, 1:16:22 PM12/26/20
to NCC Discussion Group, Michael T. Bello
For the last Saturday morning Zwift group ride of 2020, we had our largest group to date. Fourteen people rode as part of the NCC peleton (Ari, Austin, Carson, Charlie, Chris, Jamie, Joe, Kevin, Melissa, Tim, Tom, Sean, Zinj, and me).

We rode the London Pretzel, which was 35.4 with 1,545 feet of climbing. The route took us up Fox Hill and Box Hill. Sine it was Jamie's 36 birthday, many of us rode to the 36 mile mark.

We had the large group on Discord, which was entertaining. We continued our game of drinking water each time Zinj got off the bike. We were well hydrated today. Zinj joined late and was making up ground. When he got to the base of Fox Hill, the game finally beamed him to the front of the group (what should have occurred much earlier for the late join). Zinj's official Zwift time up the hill thanks to the Zwift assist was 4:19!

Carlson, Kevin, Sean, and Tim are attempting the Festive 500 (500 kilomters 12/24 through 12/31). They are all off to solid starts. Tim rode the Uber Pretzel on Christmas Eve to kick the event off.

We also discussed the holidays. Favorite holiday movies for the group included Die Hard, Miracle on 34th Street, and Elf. We also traded stories about favorite Christmas presents given.

A lot of Zwift accomplishments today. Austin, Charlie, Chris, Joe Melissa, Tom earned the London Pretzel route achievement, which doubled their XP points. Zinj finished level 22 and earned the solid gloves. Austin completed level 11 and got his avatar the Basic Kit Pack 2. Kevin got the Zwift Skate Park helmet thanks to moving to level 24. Charlie can rock the Calories to Burn sock after completing level 35. Not to be outdone in the sock game, Joe got Stripey Socks after finishing level 15.

As a reminder, there is no HC/TT for this weeks (12/31). We will complete the last two events of the Fall series in January. We will have a New Year's Day (12 PM) ride.

Here is the NCC Zwift schedule:

- Mon afternoon - Road Race (times will vary between 5 PM and 7 PM EST)
- Tue 8:00 PM - Social Ride (invite required)
- Thu 5:30 PM - Time Trial / Hill Climb (solo effort, TT bike required) (invite required)
- Sat 9:00 AM - Social Ride (invite required)

Follow Michael Bello on Zwift for invites to the invite-only rides.

Check the calendar page at www.nohobikeclub.org for full details on all events.