Digitizing print T/Ds

Mississippi State ETD

Jun 20, 2023, 9:54:50 AM6/20/23
to ETD

We recently started the process of digitizing our print theses/dissertations. We’re hoping to put them in our IR as they become part of the public domain or we get permission from the author. However, many of the print versions have the actual signature pages bound in the document. How have other institutions handled this information? Do you redact just the signatures or remove the page entirely from the digital version?  Any guidance from those who have completed this previously would be greatly appreciated!

Read, Max

Jun 20, 2023, 2:17:12 PM6/20/23
to Mississippi State ETD, ETD

Greetings,

UBC digitized its collection a few years ago. The signatures appeared on the title page in an area roughly the size of a square post-it note, so the title pages were scanned with a post-it covering the signatures.

Our theses went back to early 20th century, so the Library didn’t contact any of the authors to get approval. The wording of the licences granted by students to the Library implied that digital preservation (even if unknown at the time) would be covered as a reasonable means of preserving the work. There have been a very few instances where an author has requested their thesis be taken offline and those requests are acted on immediately.

Best wishes,

Max

Max Read
Associate Director, Student Academic Services
Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies | Office of the Dean and Vice-Provost
The University of British Columbia | Vancouver Campus
170-6371 Crescent Road | Vancouver BC | V6T 1Z2 Canada
Phone 604 822 0283
max....@ubc.ca | http://www.grad.ubc.ca

https://groups.google.com/a/ndltd.org/d/msgid/etd/0fbfec52-7262-49f2-8d7f-a0c61cb6c40dn%40ndltd.org.