etdms 1.1 schema

Sylvain Marcil

Sep 20, 2023, 9:09:13 AM9/20/23
to ETD
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to access the etdms 1.1 schema at http://www.ndltd.org/standards/metadata/etdms/1.1/etdms11.xsd as per the following documentation https://ndltd.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/etd-ms-v1.1.html but it seems like the schema is no longer published.  Can someone point me to the right location.

Regards
Sylvain

Sherry Lake

Sep 20, 2023, 9:38:30 AM9/20/23
to ETD, Sylvain Marcil
According to the Wayback machine, that site (file) hasn't been active since 2013. Here's the wayback machine's version from Feb 2013. The xsd file was automatically downloaded for me.

--
Sherry Lake
Scholarly Repository Librarian

Sylvain Marcil

Sep 20, 2023, 9:54:07 AM9/20/23
to ETD, Sherry Lake, Sylvain Marcil
Hi Sherry,
Thank you for your quick response.  I already had a copy of the etdms1.1 xsd, but my understanding is the schema needs to be published on the web site in order to validate XML documents against the schema and for etdms to be a published standard.  Do you know if the standard is still being maintained?  The XML validator is also looking for etdmsdc.xsd and etdmsdcterms.xsd.
Regards
Sylvain

Hussein Suleman

Sep 20, 2023, 10:51:48 AM9/20/23
to e...@ndltd.org
Hi

I think I was the last listed maintainer :)

I'm looking into fixing the online availability. There was a period of
time where the various documents were online but the URL changed
(because NDLTD was using Google for hosting and Google had some
unexpected restrictions on URLs). We recently shifted to a different
system so it may just be possible to get it working properly again.

Regards,
Hussein Suleman

--
Hussein Suleman, PhD
Head of Department and Professor

On 2023/09/20 15:54, Sylvain Marcil wrote:
> Hi Sherry,
> Thank you for your quick response.  I already had a copy of the etdms1.1
> xsd, but my understanding is the schema needs to be published on the web
> site in order to validate XML documents against the schema and for etdms
> to be a published standard.  Do you know if the standard is still being
> maintained?  The XML validator is also looking for etdmsdc.xsd and
> etdmsdcterms.xsd.
> Regards
> Sylvain
>
> Le mercredi 20 septembre 2023 à 09:38:30 UTC-4, Sherry Lake a écrit :
>
> According to the Wayback machine, that site (file) hasn't been
> active since 2013. Here's the wayback machine's version from Feb
> 2013. The xsd file was automatically downloaded for me.
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20130531064913/http://www.ndltd.org/standards/metadata/etdms/1.1/etdms11.xsd <https://web.archive.org/web/20130531064913/http://www.ndltd.org/standards/metadata/etdms/1.1/etdms11.xsd>
>
> --
> Sherry Lake
> Scholarly Repository Librarian
> University of Virginia.
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 9:09:13 AM UTC-4 Sylvain Marcil
> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
> I'm trying to access the etdms 1.1 schema at
> http://www.ndltd.org/standards/metadata/etdms/1.1/etdms11.xsd
> <http://www.ndltd.org/standards/metadata/etdms/1.1/etdms11.xsd> as per the following documentation https://ndltd.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/etd-ms-v1.1.html <https://ndltd.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/etd-ms-v1.1.html> but it seems like the schema is no longer published.  Can someone point me to the right location.
>
> Regards
> Sylvain
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/a/ndltd.org/d/msgid/etd/6a2510db-be8d-4c56-8922-492935975d03n%40ndltd.org <https://groups.google.com/a/ndltd.org/d/msgid/etd/6a2510db-be8d-4c56-8922-492935975d03n%40ndltd.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Bill Ingram

Sep 20, 2023, 11:05:31 AM9/20/23
to Hussein Suleman, e...@ndltd.org
Hi all,

I should just be able to upload the XSD to the new website, but it might take me a couple of hours.

Bill

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/ndltd.org/d/msgid/etd/2ac494c2-2224-5220-acd2-60a85c1f8ab3%40cs.uct.ac.za.

Sylvain Marcil

Sep 20, 2023, 12:06:51 PM9/20/23
to ETD, Bill Ingram, e...@ndltd.org, Hussein Suleman
Hi Bill / Hussein,
Thank you both for your commitment on solving this issue so quickly.  Any intention on republishing the etdms 1.0 schema as well?  We are working with multiple universities and a lot of them are still using etdms 1.0.  Let me know once the schema is available on the web site.  I'll do a couple of tests from my side.
Many thanks
Sylvain

Bill Ingram

Sep 20, 2023, 2:22:01 PM9/20/23
to Sylvain Marcil, ETD, Hussein Suleman
OK, this is done:

Someone please confirm that this is working.

Regards,
Bill

Bill Ingram

Sep 20, 2023, 2:34:04 PM9/20/23
to Sylvain Marcil, ETD, Hussein Suleman
I uploaded all the files from the old website backup:

Please let me know if I missed anything.

Regards,
Bill

Sylvain Marcil

Sep 21, 2023, 7:11:53 AM9/21/23
to ETD, Bill Ingram, ETD, Hussein Suleman, Sylvain Marcil
Hi Bill,
Thank you so much for fixing this.  I took the sample record in section 5.1.1 of the etdms 1.1 web page: https://ndltd.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/etd-ms-v1.1.html and I was able to validate the document successfully against the schema.  I'll find an etdms 1.0 document later today, but I'm sure it will work if the whole directory was copied back on the server.
Thanks
Sylvain