Non-Vireo, non-homegrown systems to manage ETDs? (OJS? Others?)

Esther M. Jackson

May 10, 2021, 12:41:13 PM5/10/21
to ETD
Hi, everyone. I am doing some research into ETD management solutions for our organization, and I was curious if anyone out there is using OJS to manage the process. If not, is anyone using other prepackaged software other than Vireo for this process? (I'm not against Vireo, just curious about other solutions folks have.)

Thank you!

Best,
Esther Jackson

Mejias, Gabriela

May 18, 2021, 6:34:12 AM5/18/21
to Esther M. Jackson, ETD
Hi Esther,

I don't have first hand experience but sharing some community use cases:

Hope this helps and I'm also interested in learning more from other use cases.

Best,
Gabi
--
Gabriela Mejias
Engagement Manager, Global Consortia

Gabriela Mejias

Jody Bailey

May 18, 2021, 10:25:27 AM5/18/21
to ETD, g.me...@orcid.org, ETD, ej2...@columbia.edu
Hi Esther,

I'm not sure whether you are looking for a repository solution or a submission management system, but the Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations has info on both. That page points to the IMLS-funded work that Educopia did on ETD management, which was published in 2017. Note that OJS is not mentioned, and from the little I know about OJS, it doesn't seem suitable.

I can also tell you that here at Emory University, we have a Samvera platform that manages the submission process and serves as our repository

Best,

Jody

Jody Bailey, MA, MLIS (she, her, hers)

Head, Scholarly Communications Office

Emory University

Robert W. Woodruff Library

540 Asbury Circle, Atlanta, GA 30322

404.712.6637 | jody....@emory.edu

https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4226-4173

Esther M. Jackson

May 18, 2021, 6:16:49 PM5/18/21
to Jody Bailey, ETD, g.me...@orcid.org
Thanks, Gabriela and Jody. This is helpful. In our current workflow, ETDs are deposited to ProQuest, managed by our degree program administrators, and sent to the library's Fedora-based repository via SWORD. What we are curious about are open-source/community software solutions to manage the submission and deposit aspect of the workflow, other than the obvious - Vireo. OJS would be imperfect as a repository, of course, but as a way for degree program administrators to handle submissions and then deposit to our repository, it seems potentially adaptable. Gabriela, may I ask what about OJS makes it unsuitable? Obviously it isn't built to undertake this function, of course.

Again, thank you!

Best,
Esther
--

Esther Marie Jackson
Scholarly Communication Technologies Librarian

Bailey, Jody Elizabeth

May 19, 2021, 12:13:06 PM5/19/21
to Esther M. Jackson, ETD, g.me...@orcid.org

Hi Esther,

I have worked with OJS only briefly and only in v. 2, so my impressions may not be accurate. But my recollection is that the whole backend centers on the peer review process/workflow, which doesn’t happen with ETDs, but perhaps it could be adapted for whatever review process happens on your campus? Then once a paper is accepted in the system, I believe it had to be slotted into an issue? Perhaps that’s not the case anymore since so many online-only journals are no longer organizing articles by issue and instead are publishing articles as they are ready to be made public.

As I said, I have only a passing familiarity with OJS, so I could be entirely incorrect about it’s unsuitability.

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 6:41 PM Esther M. Jackson <ej2...@columbia.edu> wrote:

Hi, everyone. I am doing some research into ETD management solutions for our organization, and I was curious if anyone out there is using OJS to manage the process. If not, is anyone using other prepackaged software other than Vireo for this process? (I'm not against Vireo, just curious about other solutions folks have.)

Thank you!

Best,

Esther Jackson

Gabriela Mejias

Engagement Manager, Global Consortia

Download our infographics:

--

Esther Marie Jackson

Scholarly Communication Technologies Librarian

Columbia University Libraries

prohibited.