privacy question

Sally R. Evans

Aug 24, 2021, 2:40:31 PM8/24/21
to Etd
Recently, an issue has arisen at my institution (George Mason University), and I'm hoping someone has input or experience about it (or a similar situation).

I hesitate to go into a great deal of detail at this point, so I'll ask as simply and basically as I can:

If your institution has embargoed ETDs, is there any sort of a campus-only or system-only option in place for patrons to view the embargoed ETDs?

If so: how are the embargoed ETDs accessed? What population(s) have access? What records, information, etc. can/do you collect about users who access the embargoed ETDs? Would you share patrons' information with the author of an embargoed ETD if the author requested it?

I'm happy to provide particulars about my situation, but in typing it out, I realized it's a bit overwhelming.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. You can either respond in this thread, or separately.

Thank you,

Sally

Sally R. Evans
Coordinator
University Dissertation & Thesis Services
George Mason University

Jody Bailey

Aug 25, 2021, 12:43:14 PM8/25/21
to ETD, Sally R. Evans
Hi Sally,

If anyone (whether they are affiliated with Emory or not) wants to see an embargoed dissertation in our repository, we tell the requester that we will send their request to the alumna/us along with the requestor's email address, and the alum can decide whether to share their thesis or dissertation privately with the requestor. That's the extent of our involvement.

Best,

Jody
____
Jody Bailey
Head of Scholarly Communications Office
Emory University Libraries

Rhonda Marker

Aug 25, 2021, 12:54:37 PM8/25/21
to Sally R. Evans, Etd
Hi Sally,

For now, while we make our ETDs discoverable in our Fedora-based repository, any ETD that is embargoed has a "Request a Copy" button that facilitates the ability of a user to request a one-time-use link to the PDF. Our system exchanges messages between the user and the author without disclosing the author's email address. The author can allow or deny the request.

Before we had this capability, we had to manage this kind of request manually, making sure to shield the author from potential online harassment as much as possible.

Rhonda

Rhonda J. Marker (she/her)
Interim Associate University Librarian

Rutgers University - Newark