Dissertation record for rescinded degree

Molly Keener

Jan 9, 2024, 12:11:19 PMJan 9
to e...@ndltd.org
Hello,

Our Graduate School recently rescinded the degree of a 2019 graduate. We're trying to determine what to do with the ETD file and record, both locally and with ProQuest.

Per our agreement, the author retains copyright and licenses rights to the University, including the right to "make [the work] available." I believe this gives us the right to suppress the dissertation altogether, both file and record. But I'm concerned that there may be citations or links to the dissertation and am hesitant to just remove the record.

If anyone has dealt with this situation, I'd appreciate knowing how you handled it.

Thanks, Molly

--
MOLLY KEENER
she / her | MLIS

Rhonda Marker

Jan 9, 2024, 4:01:49 PMJan 9
to Molly Keener, e...@ndltd.org
Generally, if the dissertation should not have been made available in the first place, the best course of action is to remove all traces.

If any plagiarism was involved, providing a metadata record of a plagiarized work supports and validates the plagiarism, continuing to harm the copyright holder(s) of the original work(s).

Thank you for asking an important question.

Rhonda

Rhonda J. Marker (she/her)
Interim Associate University Librarian

Rutgers University - Newark

185 University Avenue

Newark, NJ  07102

973- 353-5160

https://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/newark

Currently reading: A Most Improbable Journey: A Big History of Our Planet and Ourselves / Walter Alvarez

Jan 9, 2024, 4:33:35 PMJan 9
to Rhonda Marker, e...@ndltd.org
Thank you, Jonah and Rhonda, for your replies. They're helpful as I'm framing my suggestions for the Grad School.

Appreciatively, Molly

Molly Keener

Jan 10, 2024, 3:45:42 PMJan 10
to Daryl Grenz, Rhonda Marker, e...@ndltd.org
Thanks Daryl. Removing access and amending the record to show that the item has been withdrawn/retracted is where we're leaning.

Molly

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 3:52 AM Daryl Grenz <daryl...@kaust.edu.sa> wrote:
Dear Molly,

My suggestion would be somewhat different than "remove all traces". While I'm not exactly sure what will be left in the ProQuest system after the removal is complete, for your institutional repository I think the best practice would be to leave a public tombstone page giving information about the date and reason for removal and some minimal metadata about the item that used to exist at that location. The original files and metadata can still be kept in a dark archive with appropriate labeling of the withdrawn status. The idea would be to think along the lines of the retraction notices of journals, rather than attempting to make the record totally disappear.

Regards,
Daryl

Jan 10, 2024, 3:50:23 PMJan 10
to Molly Keener, Daryl Grenz, Rhonda Marker, e...@ndltd.org
Would it be appropriate to add it to the Retraction Database, in case anyone has already cited it?

I'm really not sure if it would be, but asking the collective wisdom here.

Anton.

Jan 12, 2024, 2:16:56 PMJan 12
to Anton Angelo, Daryl Grenz, Rhonda Marker, e...@ndltd.org
Anton, given that this person's post-graduate work has been retracted and is in Retraction Watch, I think it makes sense. I'm going to look into how to submit it.

Thanks again for the suggestions this week!

Molly