ETD Privacy Issues?

Terry M. Owen

May 19, 2023, 1:40:00 PM5/19/23
to e...@ndltd.org
Hello Everyone,

Since the first of this year we've had several requests from individuals mentioned in the Acknowledgements of a thesis or dissertation to have their names removed for privacy reasons. I was wondering if other institutions have encountered this situation or if you have policies/guidelines in place to address this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Terry M. Owen
Scholarly Communications Librarian
University of Maryland Libraries
College Park, MD 20742-7011
301.314.1328
to...@umd.edu

Digital Repository at the University of Maryland (DRUM)
http://drum.lib.umd.edu/

Anton Angelo

May 21, 2023, 5:03:20 PM5/21/23
to Terry M. Owen, e...@ndltd.org

Kia ora,

Yes, I have had this as an issue.  Other than a few redacted for personal privacy reasons I have had one from someone who had gone to work for a part of our police organised crime unit, and didn’t want his parent’s names mentioned in public in case of retaliation.

Ngā mihi,

Anton

Oct 12, 2023, 8:56:37 AM10/12/23
to e...@ndltd.org

Hello Everyone,

If anyone’s university has policies or guidelines explicitly mentioning Export Control or any other restricted research for theses and dissertations, can you please share? We are especially interested in seeing if any universities have policies stating that theses and dissertations cannot be done on this type of research. If you do allow it, what guidelines do you have? For example, are there any special procedures for the defense or does the grad school or college have to be notified before the research commences?

I know this often falls under the purview of an office of research and the Technology Control Protocols, but I appreciate any information you may have.

Nathalia Bauer

Assistant Director

Thesis/Dissertation and Professional Development

Office of Graduate Student Life

UCF College of Graduate Studies