API to access database

Tamas Nagy

Dec 12, 2017, 2:09:30 PM12/12/17
to ETD
Hi!
I've just found ETD as I was searching for dissertation and theses databases that I could use for a meta-analysis.
The number of records is really impressive, but I could not find a way easily download metadata of the theses that I found. Is there an API or any other way that I could use to download the records?
I believe it could be useful for several other researchers conducting meta-analysis, and would like to include graduate theses.
I was not able to go through the whole forum, but I tried to search for topics connected to bulk download or API.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Cheers,
Tamas

Edward Fox

Dec 12, 2017, 9:32:21 PM12/12/17
to Tamas Nagy, ETD
We would love for you to help others ensure that even more universities join NDLTD and share their metadata, using the approach explained on that page.
It also explains how our service works.
In particular, you can use a protocol, OAI-PMH, to access, search and download metadata records.

Hoping this helps.
Sincerely, Ed Fox (Executive Director, NDLTD)

Manoj Kumar K, Scientist-D(CS)

Mar 8, 2019, 12:58:39 AM3/8/19
to Edward Fox, Tamas Nagy, ETD
Dear Prof. Edward Fox,

Hope you are doing fine. We are glad to inform that Shodhganga has grown further into 2,17,000+ open access theses. We would like to check whether any other repository in the world has more than 2,17,000 fulltext open access theses, If so please send me the names of the repository.

with regards,

Manoj Kumar K |  मनोज कुमार के
Scientist-D (CS) | वैज्ञानिक डी  (सी एस )
INFLIBNET Centre, Gandhinagar | सूचना एवं पुस्तकालय नेटवर्क केंद्र, गांधीनगर
An Inter University Centre of University Grants Commission,
Infocity Gandhinagar - 382007. Gujarat, INDIA.
Phone : 079-23268220 (O), 09376134222 (M)
manoj[at]inflibnet.ac.in, shodhganga[at]inflibnet.ac.in,
A-2/8, Shanti Apartment, Near Rajpath raw houses, Bodakdev
Resi : 079-26872221 (Res)

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 8:05 AM Edward Fox <edfo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (edfo...@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule | More info
We would love for you to help others ensure that even more universities join NDLTD and share their metadata, using the approach explained on that page.
It also explains how our service works.
In particular, you can use a protocol, OAI-PMH, to access, search and download metadata records.

Hoping this helps.
Sincerely, Ed Fox (Executive Director, NDLTD)

Gould, Sara

Mar 8, 2019, 4:28:06 AM3/8/19
to Manoj Kumar K, Scientist-D(CS), Edward Fox, Tamas Nagy, ETD, Rosie, Heather

Hi Manoj

Congratulations on those impressive figures.

Here in the UK, EThOS (https://ethos.bl.uk) has 516,926 records for UK doctoral theses. There are 204,852 full text open access theses held directly in EThOS, but our records connect to 295,283 open theses across the UK – some that are held in HE repositories are not held in EThOS.

I don’t know if that means we win the competition – I think it is still you!

Best wishes

Sara

cid:image001.gif@01D2EFF0.A42392F0

Sara Gould

Repository Services Lead
Research Services

T 01937 546123                www.bl.uk

M 07897 326849               @EThOSBL

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postm...@bl.uk : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.
Think before you print

Tainá Assis

Mar 8, 2019, 4:48:18 AM3/8/19
to Gould, Sara, Manoj Kumar K, Scientist-D(CS), Edward Fox, Tamas Nagy, ETD, Rosie, Heather
Dears,

Congratulations on your initiatives! They are expressive bases of information.

In Brazil, the Brazilian Institute of Information in Science and Technology (Ibict), where I work, is responsible for the creation and management of the Brazilian Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (BDTD) <bdtd.ibict.br>. We make available more than 550,000 doctorate theses and dissertations that are full-text and in open-access. More than one hundred Brazilian teaching and research institutions participate in the BDTD.

Note: the amount that appears on the BDTD homepage has not yet been updated to what I presented above.

I hope I have contributed to the discussion and to survey.

Regards,

Tainá Assis
Brazilian Institute of Information in Science and Technology (Ibict)

Manoj Kumar K, Scientist-D(CS)

Mar 8, 2019, 5:08:40 AM3/8/19
to Tainá Assis, Gould, Sara, Edward Fox, Tamas Nagy, ETD, Rosie, Heather
Dear Ms.  Tainá Assis,

Thank you for your update. As you mentioned, the figure shown in home page is much lesser than what is given by you. How many English language theses are there in your repository. We would be happy to give a link to your repository especially for English language Theses with a small write up.

Once again Thank you for quick response.

with regards,

Manoj Kumar K |  मनोज कुमार के
Scientist-D (CS) | वैज्ञानिक डी  (सी एस )
INFLIBNET Centre, Gandhinagar | सूचना एवं पुस्तकालय नेटवर्क केंद्र, गांधीनगर
An Inter University Centre of University Grants Commission,
Infocity Gandhinagar - 382007. Gujarat, INDIA.
Phone : 079-23268220 (O), 09376134222 (M)
manoj[at]inflibnet.ac.in, shodhganga[at]inflibnet.ac.in,
A-2/8, Shanti Apartment, Near Rajpath raw houses, Bodakdev
Resi : 079-26872221 (Res)

Gould, Sara

Mar 8, 2019, 5:14:04 AM3/8/19
to Manoj Kumar K, Scientist-D(CS), Tainá Assis, Edward Fox, Tamas Nagy, ETD, Rosie, Heather

Hi Manoj,

They are nearly all English language with just a tiny number of European languages – and  a few Latin!

Best wishes

Sara

Manoj Kumar K, Scientist-D(CS)

Mar 8, 2019, 5:15:59 AM3/8/19
to Gould, Sara, Edward Fox, Tamas Nagy, ETD, Rosie, Heather
Dear Ms. Sara Gould,

I hope that you do remember me and we met in ETD-2016 in France. Thank you for responding to my mail. We have already given a link in our repository to EThOS so that our users can access full text  204,852  open access Theses. I assume that  295,283 open theses are not directly under EThOS, but under institutions in UK.

  Once again Thank you for quick response.

with regards,

Manoj Kumar K |  मनोज कुमार के
Scientist-D (CS) | वैज्ञानिक डी  (सी एस )
INFLIBNET Centre, Gandhinagar | सूचना एवं पुस्तकालय नेटवर्क केंद्र, गांधीनगर
An Inter University Centre of University Grants Commission,
Infocity Gandhinagar - 382007. Gujarat, INDIA.
Phone : 079-23268220 (O), 09376134222 (M)
manoj[at]inflibnet.ac.in, shodhganga[at]inflibnet.ac.in,
A-2/8, Shanti Apartment, Near Rajpath raw houses, Bodakdev
Resi : 079-26872221 (Res)

Gould, Sara

Mar 8, 2019, 5:21:34 AM3/8/19
to Manoj Kumar K, Scientist-D(CS), Edward Fox, Tamas Nagy, ETD, Rosie, Heather

Hi Manoj, yes I remember, that was a very good conference.

You’re right about those numbers, thank you for your support.

Sara