Permission to post student work to a repository

Sue Maszaros

Jul 19, 2016, 1:35:08 PM7/19/16
to e...@ndltd.org

I am not sure if this is the appropriate listserv to pose this question, but we are getting our digital repository off the ground and we have some student research papers (which are part of a symposium series our university coordinates) that we have as part of our first collection.  I have researched this and still can’t seem to find a clear answer about student work. Do we need to have students’ permission in order to include a student newspaper in our repository or if we want to include student research papers that were part of a public symposium?

We have drafted a distribution agreement for faculty to sign, stating that they own the copyright but we get the right to distribute it to the public. Would we also need students to sign an agreement like this before posting their work to the repository?

Any guidance on this would be most appreciated.

Sue Maszaros

Director of Library Services

Lila D. Bunch Library

Phone: 615.460.5496

Email: sue.ma...@belmont.edu

we-believe-sig (1)

Belmont University
1900 Belmont Boulevard  |  Nashville, TN 37212
belmont.edu | webelieve.belmont.edu

Joseph Thomas

Jul 20, 2016, 8:17:30 AM7/20/16
to ETD
Hi Sue,
One of the places to check is your campus copyright policy--it may have a stipulation on the university's right to student works.
Joseph

Stephanie L.

Jul 20, 2016, 1:03:14 PM7/20/16
to ETD
We have a select number of student works in our repository and we do ask for them to sign a deposit agreement.
This is just my opinion - if the students know ahead of time that their symposium papers will be 'published' then you do not need to collect permissions, similar to conference proceedings.

However, if the students were not aware, then I would definitely get permission.

I'm not sure of what I would do with the student newspaper, other than try to contact the editor or see if there are existing copyright claims.

Stephanie Larrison
Texas State University

Donald Taylor

Jul 20, 2016, 1:40:30 PM7/20/16
to Sue Maszaros, e...@ndltd.org
Unless the student agreed before hand to allow their work to be made available via the IR, then you should seek their permission. As the creator of the work, the student owns the copyright in it, and their permission would be required to reproduce their presentations and make them available via the IR.
Students are not employees of the university, so I'd be hard pressed to see how the university could make any claim to re-use student work without first receiving explicit permission. So yes, it would be best if the student signed, or agreed to, something similar to the agreement that faculty at Belmont sign. Such a form also serves as an opportunity for the student to learn a little bit about copyright.

Donald Taylor
University Copyright Officer
Research Repository Coordinator
SFU Library, Burnaby BC  778.782.5596

Jul 21, 2016, 5:07:01 PM7/21/16
to Donald Taylor, e...@ndltd.org

Thank you, Donald, Stephanie, and Joseph for your responses. These are most helpful. I appreciate it.

Sue

Paul Blobaum

Jul 21, 2016, 8:39:32 PM7/21/16
to Sue Maszaros, Donald Taylor, e...@ndltd.org
If the student newspaper is published with student fees, then the University likely has editorial control and copyright.  We digitized our student newspapers and are struggling to get the current staff to send us current digital copies regularly.

As for other student work, yes, we ask permission, except we are planning to digitize a journal which was published on campus for 10 years in the 1980s, 1990s. The editor and department owned copyright, the editor (retired faculty member) initially considered a Deed of Gift for copyright, but then decided that wouldn't work for her, so we need to get her to sign a permission form for "non exclusive right to post online and preserve a copy digitally in perpetuity".  This would not give us rights to sell to another publisher, etc.    Still, the articles in the journal were authored by students and I am prepared for some push back from Alumni, in which case we would handle on a case by case basis.  The articles were personal reflections and case studies with the student's experiences with counseling clients and their own emotional growth.

Feel free to borrow from our permission form for capstones/theses http://opus.govst.edu/library_opus/

Paul Blobaum, MA, MS                                pblobaum at govst.edu

Professor

Reference and Scholarly Communications Librarian
Liaison to CHHS programs:  Nursing, Social Work, Health Administration, Communications Disorders, Addictions Studies, Community Health
University Library
Governors State University
University Park, IL  60484               7O8 534 4139

Follow my research at http://works.bepress.com/paul_blobaum/

Tirzah Islip

Jul 21, 2016, 9:20:21 PM7/21/16
to Sue Maszaros, e...@ndltd.org

Hi Sue,

Around ten years ago we digitized our student newspaper back run – On Dit https://digital.library.adelaide.edu.au/dspace/handle/2440/11514 for their 75th anniversary. The newspaper was run by the Adelaide University Student union, so the Special Collections area requested permission from them for it to be digitized – a fairly straightforward process as they were pleased with the idea.

Copyright for any student articles submitted to the newspaper was with the newspaper/student union, so we didn’t need to identify or contact the individual article authors.

The team in charge of the institutional repository are able to take down any issue(s) people feel uncomfortable about when they are contacted about them.

There is a copyright page at the beginning of each file listing use restrictions and who to contact for more information.

Regards, Tirzah

--

Tirzah Islip

Digitisation Assistant (Retrospective Thesis Digitization Project)

Barr Smith Library (Wed-Fri)

University Libraries

The University of Adelaide, SOUTH AUSTRALIA 5005

( +61 8 8313 5243

* tirzah...@adelaide.edu.au

UoA_Uni_Lib_col_horz_sig

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M

IMPORTANT: This message may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you think it was sent to you by mistake, please delete all copies and advise the sender. For the purposes of the SPAM Act 2003, this email is authorised by The University of Adelaide.

Larry Tague

Mar 4, 2017, 11:41:51 AM3/4/17
to Joseph Thomas, ETD
Hi Folks,
Our university has a clear policy (Board of Trustees, 1984) concerning theses and dissertations being open to the institution for archival and public display as a condition of graduation. However, that was prior to FERPA regulations respecting the privacy of student information. We have a few students, for a variety of valid reasons, who have opted to close access to any of their information. If this is in effect at the time these students graduate then to be in compliance with FERPA we cannot display any part of the information associated with these students; including their ETD and metadata, and they cannot even be listed on the graduation program. Sometimes when a student opts for this level of information protection, they are not aware of how strict or exactly how much information, or under what circumstances, it will be in effect. We do have a form the student can complete to lift these restrictions, and students are using this form more often to change their status as they approach graduation. Relative to ETDs,  we are planning to use a document within ProQuest to obtain publication permission from the students, and this document will outline the potential problems with FERPA privacy protections, but this document will also detail how and when the student should release these protections in order to have their ETD published on the universities Institutional Repository. Cheers!

Larry Tague
Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Graduate Health Sciences
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
920 Madison Ave., Suite 807
Memphis, TN 38103
Phone Bus.: 901-448-7152