Name format requirement on ETDs

Kleister, Jill

Aug 31, 2015, 9:09:02 AM8/31/15
to e...@ndltd.org

Good Monday morning to everyone!

Quick question for the listserv –

  1. Do you require student names on ETDs to be an exact match to the name on the official student records or do you allow variations?
  2. If variations allowed, are there rules governing that?

Thanks so much!

Jill

J. S. Kleister

Graduate Reader

Toulouse Graduate School | University of North Texas

Ph: 940.565.4933 | jill.k...@unt.edu | gradschool.unt.edu

cid:image003.png@01D013C9.1D42DDA0

Eberhard R. Hilf

Aug 31, 2015, 9:11:27 AM8/31/15
to Kleister, Jill, e...@ndltd.org
solution: you require an ORCID registration of the student, and leet him
drop the variations of his/her name there.
With names there are always variations due to spelling in different
languages. No other way to cure that.
Eberhard R. Hilf, Prof.i.R. Dr. Dr. Geschaeftsfuehrer (CEO)
Institute for Science Networking Oldenburg GmbH (ISN)
an der Carl von Ossietzky Universitaet
Ammerlaender Heerstr.121, D-26129 Oldenburg
ISN: http://www.isn-oldenburg.de
contact: hi...@isn-oldenburg.de Tel.: +49-441-798-2884/3465
http://isn-oldenburg.de/~hilf
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Eberhard_R_Hilf/
Scientific Author-Identification: ORCID-ID: 0000-0002-5910-3819
Produkte des ISN: http://www.isn-oldenburg.de/en/products/
:: Konferenzmanagement <rConf>
:: Vereinsmanagement <rgroup>
:: automatische Fachklassifikation von wiss. Dokumenten <classifer>
:: Management von referierten Open Access Zeitchriften <OAflow>
- Blog zu Open Access: http://www.zugang-zum-wissen.de/journal
- Mitglied des Buendnis Urheberrecht fuer Bildung und Wissenschaft
http://www.urheberrechtsbuendnis.de

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015, Kleister, Jill wrote:

> Good Monday morning to everyone!
>

> Quick question for the listserv ?
>
> 1. Do you require student names on ETDs to be an exact match to the name on
> the official student records or do you allow variations?
> 2. If variations allowed, are there rules governing that?
>

> Thanks so much!
>

> Jill

> J. S. Kleister
>
> Graduate Reader
>
> Toulouse Graduate School | University of North Texas
>
> Ph: 940.565.4933 | jill.k...@unt.edu | gradschool.unt.edu
>
> cid:image0...@01D013C9.1D42DDA0
>
> --
> C21F18B5F6F96B0%40BN1PR0101MB0564.prod.exchangelabs.com.

Amy Blackmarr

Aug 31, 2015, 10:06:33 AM8/31/15
to Kleister, Jill, etd
Check RDA 9.2.3. I use the name the student uses on the cover page for the 100 field, but I don't have access to the official record. If I did, I would use that name in the 100 field and then record the name the student uses on the cover page in the 245 $c if it differs from the official record; you could add that to a 700 field with a $g to clarify. (If someone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it.) In an ideal world I would create at least local authority records for students, faculty, and departments with name variances over time, but there's only me and not enough time for that here.

Aug 31, 2015, 10:50:39 AM8/31/15
to Eberhard R. Hilf, Kleister, Jill, e...@ndltd.org
Hi Jill,

At the University of Tennessee Health Science Center, College of Graduate Health Sciences, we do not allow for variations. In fact, the ETD name must exactly match their registration name maintained by the Registrar's office. This is also the name that will be displayed on their diploma. Can they request a name change via the Registrar prior to placing it on their ETD?. Yes, we do have an official name change request form in the Registrar's office. However, before their new official name can be used, we request proof of approval from the Registrar's office. Cheers!

PS: Probably see you in Austin in a few weeks.

Larry Tague
Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Graduate Health Sciences
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
920 Madison Ave., Suite 807
Memphis, TN 38103
Phone Bus.: 901-448-7152

Babcock, Renee E

Aug 31, 2015, 10:51:28 AM8/31/15
to e...@ndltd.org
Hi Jill, at UT Austin, we require the name to be an exact match for what is on the official student record. We have had a very few requests for students to publish their ETD under a different name, and our dean has denied each of those requests. There have been a few times when the student has stated that the name on their official student record isn’t really their legal name (usually last name is the issue), and in those cases, we ask the student to contact the Office of the Registrar to change their name.

Renee

Renee E. Babcock | Degree Plan Evaluator III | Graduate School | The University of Texas at Austin | (512) 232-3629

From: <Kleister>, Jill <Jill.K...@unt.edu>
Date: Monday, August 31, 2015 at 8:08 AM
To: "e...@ndltd.org" <e...@ndltd.org>

Good Monday morning to everyone!

Quick question for the listserv –

    1. Do you require student names on ETDs to be an exact match to the name on the official student records or do you allow variations?
    1. If variations allowed, are there rules governing that?

    Thanks so much!

    Jill

    J. S. Kleister

    Graduate Reader

    Toulouse Graduate School | University of North Texas

    Ph: 940.565.4933 | jill.k...@unt.edu| gradschool.unt.edu

    cid:image003.png@01D013C9.1D42DDA0

    image001.png

    Eberhard R. Hilf

    Aug 31, 2015, 11:17:24 AM8/31/15
    to Babcock, Renee E, e...@ndltd.org
    there is no way to assure the identity of an etd-author by just giving
    his/her name (Think of Bill Brown or another common name). Also name
    spellings change with time in some languages (think of Ukraine). The only
    way is to use a scientific author identification registry. And there is
    only one internationally (and should only be one): ORCID.
    That is: Ph.D. students are novice scientists and should be obliged to
    register. This then handles all his future name changes andtrackbacks to
    his version used in the ETD.
    http://orcid.org
    Yours sincerely Eberhard R. Hilf (my thesis is with E. Hilf):
    'both' are the same person: ORCID-ID: 0000-0002-5910-3819

    On Mon, 31 Aug 2015, Babcock, Renee E wrote:

    > Hi Jill, at UT Austin, we require the name to be an exact match for what is
    > on the official student record. We have had a very few requests for students
    > to publish their ETD under a different name, and our dean has denied each of
    > those requests. There have been a few times when the student has stated that
    > the name on their official student record isn?t really their legal name
    > (usually last name is the issue), and in those cases, we ask the student to
    > contact the Office of the Registrar to change their name.
    >
    > Renee
    >
    > Renee E. Babcock | Degree Plan Evaluator III | Graduate School | The
    > University of Texas at Austin | (512) 232-3629
    >

    > From: <Kleister>, Jill <Jill.K...@unt.edu>
    > Date: Monday, August 31, 2015 at 8:08 AM
    > To: "e...@ndltd.org" <e...@ndltd.org>
    > Subject: [etd] Name format requirement on ETDs
    >
    > Good Monday morning to everyone!
    >

    > Quick question for the listserv ?
    >
    > 1. Do you require student names on ETDs to be an exact match to the name on
    > the official student records or do you allow variations?
    > 2. If variations allowed, are there rules governing that?
    >

    > Thanks so much!
    >

    > Jill

    > J. S. Kleister
    >
    > Graduate Reader
    >
    > Toulouse Graduate School | University of North Texas
    >
    > Ph: 940.565.4933 | jill.k...@unt.edu| gradschool.unt.edu
    >
    > cid:image0...@01D013C9.1D42DDA0
    >
    > --
    > C21F18B5F6F96B0%40BN1PR0101MB0564.prod.exchangelabs.com.
    >
    > --
    > k%40austin.utexas.edu.

    Ed Fox

    Aug 31, 2015, 11:24:19 AM8/31/15
    to ETD
    Dr. Hilf makes a good point about ORCIDs.
    We hope to make an official announcement of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) wherein NDLTD and ORCID will be cooperating, especially on technical solutions and jointly supporting advances in scholarly communication.

    Note also that some sites have linked the ETD handling system with the local system for student records.

    Warm regards, Ed

    Shari Hill Sweet

    Sep 2, 2015, 2:26:21 PM9/2/15
    to ETD
    Hi, Jill,

    The University of Notre Dame does not require that the name on the title page match exactly. We expect them to manage their own professional identity, which may be different than their registration record (especially in the case of international students and recently married students).

    We accept only ETDs, and for disambiguation purposes, we require all submitted files to adhere to a strict naming convention. We also have a separate submission detail database we can cross-reference, and we've just launched a new ETD site that requires students to log in with their distinct campus ID to begin a submission. I do like the idea of including a way to link an ORCID to their submission, as several have suggested, so I'll request that as a possible future enhancement.

    -Shari Hill Sweet
    Dissertation and Thesis Editor
    University of Notre Dame

    Kathleen Dion

    Sep 9, 2015, 12:25:58 PM9/9/15
    to ETD
    Hi Jill,

    At UMass Amherst we receive a list of names from our Graduate School Office but we go by whatever name is on the title page of the dissertation.   If the author has a previously established LC authority record, we use that in the 100 field and any variation on the title page in the 245 field.

    I should say that we "went by" as this was the procedure when we were doing in-house cataloging. Currently I am working on metadata harvesting from our IR via WorldCat Digital Collection Gateway and since the goal is to make the harvesting as automatic as possible, we will have to go by whatever form of name each author inputs into their IR submission form.    Has anyone else run into this problem?

    Kay Dion

    Dissertations/Theses Cataloger

    W.E.B. Du Bois Library

    University of Massachusetts Amherst