ETD Digitization

Leila Belle Sterman

May 14, 2015, 1:39:52 PM5/14/15
to e...@ndltd.org
Dear ETD colleagues,

Have any of you digitized theses and dissertations retroactively?

If so, Who did the scanning? How much did it cost? How many did you digitize? Was it a success?

If not, Why not? Will you in the future?

If you reply off list (sterma...@gmail.com) I will compile responses and report back to the list.

Thank you,
Leila

--

Leila Sterman
Scholarly Communication Librarian

Sally R. Evans

May 15, 2015, 9:36:37 AM5/15/15
to Leila Belle Sterman, e...@ndltd.org
I'd be interested in learning about what other schools did as well.

Thank you,

Sally

Sally Evans
Coordinator
University Dissertation & Thesis Services
George Mason University

Ramesh C Gaur

May 15, 2015, 12:39:07 PM5/15/15
to Leila Belle Sterman, e...@ndltd.org
Dear Leila

At Jawaharlal Nehru University New Delhi, India we have digitised over 20000 theses and dissertations retroactively. The work was outsourced to digitisation agency. The digitisation cost was in Indian rupees @ ₹ 1.10 per page. The work was completed in less than a year and with this now our entire collection is available online accessible at JNU Intranet.

We have also uploaded 5000 theses under open access in a central repository shodhganga.

Regards
Ramesh

Sent from iPad
************************************
Dr. Ramesh C Gaur
PGDCA, MLISc,Ph.D. Fulbright Scholar (Virginia Tech, USA)
University Librarian
Jawaharlal Nehru University(JNU)
New Meharuli Road, New Delhi - 110067
Tele +91-11-2674260526704551
Fax : +91-11-26741603
Email: rcg...@mail.jnu.ac.in ;rcga...@gmail.com
Brief Profile: http://www.jnu.ac.in/Library/RameshCGaur.htm

Joachim Schopfel

May 15, 2015, 6:25:50 PM5/15/15
to Leila Belle Sterman, e...@ndltd.org
Dear Leila,

we at ANRT Lille (see  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atelier_national_de_reproduction_des_th%C3%A8ses) digitize PhD dissertations retroactively for French universities, on demand and for open repositories. The price depends on the support (print, microform), the scanning procedure (open book, rapid scan, MF scan) and the technical specifications (OCR...), and it may range from 0.10 to 0.50 € per page.

Kind regards,

Joachim.

JC Parandjuk

Sep 10, 2015, 11:01:41 AM9/10/15
to e...@ndltd.org
Hi All,

If you have digitized your retrospective or print theses collection, I would like to know what you then did with the PRINT copies.
Were they already circulating and you returned them to the shelf?
Did you put them in your University Archives?
Did you discard and replace catalog record with e-version record?
Did you send them to offsite storage?

What would the best practice for the original bound manuscript be? We are in need of space so that is a factor for us.

Thanks for all responses off-list or on :)
Joanne

James MacDonald

Sep 10, 2015, 12:59:32 PM9/10/15
to JC Parandjuk, e...@ndltd.org
We were fortunate enough to have two copies of every thesis. One copy in circulation and the other in our special collections. This allowed us to slice the binding from the circulation copy for scanning. Which in turn led to significant cost savings in the digitization.

We are keeping the sliced copies on shelves in the library's technical services for a year and then recycling them.

We withdrew the items from the library catalog (the bibs remained as they still had the SC item attached). We used the bibs, however, to create the MODS records for the IR. The filename of the digitized thesis is the bib number of the corresponding print record in the catalog. This makes it very easy to put a link in the IR record pointing to the print record.

If we only had one print copy it would be much more difficult to make the pitch of slicing off the binding but I'd have made the pitch. However, in that scenario I'd have a more robust digital preservation plan from the beginning. It'll be a couple years before we get the collection into a LOCKS network and a sync to Archivematica - had we just the one copy I'd make those a priority out of the gate.

Best of luck with your digitization

James

Sent from my iPhone

Tirzah Islip

Sep 10, 2015, 7:24:23 PM9/10/15
to JC Parandjuk, e...@ndltd.org

Hi all,

We have two print copies of most of our theses and have sacrificed one copy to have the binding cut and scanned in high volume in a document feeder scanner that also ORC’s so the scan is searchable. When the scan is placed online in our repository, we then withdraw the item record and the cut volume is put in a locked recycled bin.

Where we only have one copy we are scanning it manually without damaging the binding so we can keep a print copy.

All theses being kept are in off site storage – or in the process of being moved out there (for space saving reasons).

Regards, Tirzah

--

Tirzah Islip

Retrospective Digitisation Project Assistant

Acquisition and Metadata Services | University Libraries

The University of Adelaide, SOUTH AUSTRALIA 5005

( +61 8 8313 5243

* tirzah...@adelaide.edu.au

UoA_Uni_Lib_col_horz_sig

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M

IMPORTANT: This message may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you think it was sent to you by mistake, please delete all copies and advise the sender. For the purposes of the SPAM Act 2003, this email is authorised by The University of Adelaide.

Larry Tague

Sep 10, 2015, 8:31:49 PM9/10/15
to Leila Belle Sterman, e...@ndltd.org, Welch, Jennifer
Our library Archivist recently place a PO for a high speed scanner that we can use to scan all of our paper T/Ds for digital posting. This is a very interesting discussion which I am pass along. Thanks.

Larry Tague
Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Graduate Health Sciences
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
920 Madison Ave., Suite 807
Memphis, TN 38103
Phone Bus.: 901-448-7152

gai...@vt.edu

Sep 10, 2015, 8:57:41 PM9/10/15
to Tirzah Islip, JC Parandjuk, e...@ndltd.org
Ditto for Virginia Tech

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 10, 2015, at 7:24 PM, Tirzah Islip <tirzah...@adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

[...]

<image001.jpg>

Vika Zafrin

Sep 11, 2015, 12:06:42 PM9/11/15
to JC Parandjuk, e...@ndltd.org
Hi Joanne,

We are still in the process of digitizing our retrospective collection. We were/are keeping them in offsite storage, and making them available to patrons by special request. After digitization, we are discarding the physical copies and replacing them with openly accessible digital copies in our institutional repository.

Or, at least, that's our M.O. for the current batch we are handling, theses and dissertations through 1963. These are definitely out of copyright (we checked copyright renewal records for works from 1924 through 1963). What we'll do with 1964-2011 TDs, I don't yet know.

-Vika

--
Vika Zafrin
Institutional Repository Librarian

Leila Belle Sterman

Sep 11, 2015, 1:36:43 PM9/11/15
to ETD
At MSU we had two copies of most of the digitized papers, so the first copy was chopped and scanned and the second lives in Special Colelctions. For around 30 papers we only had one copy and they were scanned carefully and then returned to Special Collections. Those papers were more time consuming to scan, but a small percentage of the 5500 papers we digitized.

Leila