requirements for page size in PDF?

Roxanne Shirazi

Apr 25, 2017, 12:41:46 PM4/25/17
to e...@ndltd.org
Hello,

I'm curious about specifications required for the page size of a PDF for ETDs. My library recently stopped printing and binding dissertations, and we are still transitioning to fully-electronic guidelines.

We occassionally get submissions formatted as A4 paper size instead of US letter; typically these are sent back for revision, but I am wondering if this is unnecessary since most printers will automatically scale the page. Additionally, students often want to insert a section of legal size pages to accomodate large landscape tables and appendices.

Does anyone have format guidelines in place that accomodate varying page sizes in the PDF?

Thanks,

Roxanne

--
Roxanne Shirazi
Dissertation Research Librarian

The Graduate Center, CUNY
365 Fifth Avenue Room 2304
New York, NY 10016-4309
P 212.817.7069 |
rshi...@gc.cuny.edu

Larry Tague

Apr 25, 2017, 8:26:38 PM4/25/17
to Roxanne Shirazi, e...@ndltd.org
To be consistent we require standard US letter, but once we approve and archive our copy of the students manuscript, the student is in free to do whatever they need to do, or what to do with the document prior to printing it since we do not require a printed copy.

Larry

zach lukemire

Apr 27, 2017, 9:55:24 AM4/27/17
to ETD, rshi...@gc.cuny.edu
Hi Roxanne,

At the University of South Carolina, even though we are completely electronic, every page of the thesis/dissertation PDF must be 8.5" by 11". However, that requirement does not apply to any supplemental files, and sometimes students will attach a PDF as a supplemental file that contains pages larger than standard letter size. For example, a Lighting Design student earning the MFA in Theatre recently attached a PDF containing lighting plots that were too large to fit within the standard letter pages of her thesis document.

Zach Lukemire
ETD Coordinator
The Graduate School
University of South Carolina