electronic v. wet signatures

Sally R. Evans

Apr 13, 2017, 11:31:33 AM4/13/17
to e...@ndltd.org
Greetings, colleagues.

On your Signature Sheets, do you require all wet signatures? Do you permit electronic signatures? If you allow electronic signatures, can ALL of the signatures be electronic?

Thank you,

Sally

Sally Evans
Coordinator
University Dissertation & Thesis Services

Haines, Lou

Apr 13, 2017, 11:56:30 AM4/13/17
to Sally R. Evans, e...@ndltd.org
Hi Sally,

We want all signatures to be wet.  Sometimes, however, that is impossible. In that case, I will ask that the missing person send an email directly to me letting me know that they have approved.  I also ask that they sign the scanned page and return it back to me for my records.

Best regards,

Lou A. Haines
Manager, Graduate Student Services
Miami University Graduate School

PGP: She, Her, Hers

Babcock, Renee E

Apr 13, 2017, 12:11:44 PM4/13/17
to e...@ndltd.org
Hi Sally, we used to require all wet signatures, but we found for students with committee members outside our university in particular, it was often challenging for them to collect all those signatures, esp since it seems so many of students defend in the few weeks before our ETD submission deadline.

Our deans are now allowing us to collect scanned or electronic signatures on the signature page. We do still require the signature page to be turned in, since we image it to the student record after awarding the degree. We have a few caveats that we warn students about: the document quality has to be good (we’ve had people try to send us photos they took with their camera, for example, and we’ve just said nope); the scan has to be a good, dark scan (so we can image it), and if the signer uses an electronic signature, we have to be able to read the attached certificate. We also require a single page for the signature page, not multiple pages.

We will allow any or all signers to sign with scanned or electronic signatures. Because of committee members being outside UT, or because of travel schedules of other committee members, this flexibility has made it a lot easier for students to collect signatures.

Renee

Renee E. Babcock, Ph.D. | Degree Plan Evaluator III | Graduate School | The University of Texas at Austin | (512) 232-3629

Matt Kramer

Apr 14, 2017, 11:56:42 PM4/14/17
to Sally R. Evans, e...@ndltd.org
We prefer wet signatures. We do have some faculty members who use electronic signatures which we accept. One issue we have is the authenticity of the third member signature since the third member is often a non faculty member who is not associated with the college.

We offer a temporary solution for logistical difficulties in obtaining signatures on our dissertation approval form:  an email placeholder that allows us to accept the submittal provided that the student secure the wet signature on the approval form at the defense. Our requirement is that the committee member who cannot sign the approval form prior to submittal send us a direct email stating that they approve the dissertation along with the official approved title.

Matt Kramer
William James College.

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Sally R. Evans <sally...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sally R. Evans

Apr 15, 2017, 9:43:52 AM4/15/17
to Matt Kramer, e...@ndltd.org
Thank you, all.

I ask because I received an email from a professor (see below), and I just wanted to see if we're being unreasonable or behind the times.

In the email, he asked:

"Why do we require wet signatures? What if we got an electronic signature chain, and then a PDF spit out that was automatically in compliance? What’s holding up such a process?"