Policies regarding ETDs written in language other than English

Babcock, Renee E

Oct 4, 2017, 2:23:21 PM10/4/17
to e...@ndltd.org
I am interested in hearing from (primarily but not necessarily exclusively) US-based research institutions about your policies regarding ETDs written in a language other than English.

We allow students to do so by petition, but our deans are interested in what other institutions are doing in this regard. So I have several questions:

  1. Do you allow your students to write the ETD in a language other than English?
  2. If yes, is this an official policy, or is it by petition?
  3. If by petition, who approves the petition? The Graduate School? Student’s committee chair? Other? If by petition, is it a routine approval process, or does the approver take a serious, close look at these petitions, and require any supporting documentation?
  4. Also, what academic reasons are considered acceptable for approving a request to allow the ETD be written in a language other than English?
  5. If allowed, what, if anything, is the student required to include in the ETD in English?
We allow petitions to our Graduate Dean, usually because a foreign journal is interested in publishing the text. We don’t allow it because the student doesn’t have sufficient facility in English. And when approved, we require the student include an English-language abstract (we will also allow an abstract in the language in which the ETD is written), plus a substantial summary and conclusion section in English.

I look forward to hearing what others are doing as well.

Thanks in advance!

Renee

Renee E. Babcock, Ph.D. | Degree Plan Evaluator III | Graduate School | The University of Texas at Austin | (512) 232-3629