ProQuest

Sally R. Evans

Dec 16, 2015, 1:48:57 PM12/16/15
to e...@ndltd.org

Hello, all. I'm hoping you can share some information with me.

Does your school require submission to ProQuest, for either all or some of your students?

If so, do you have any plans to stop requiring submission, and make submission optional? Can you share the reason(s) for making this change?

Or, if you require submission, do you have any plans to cease submission to ProQuest altogether? Can your share the reason(s) for making this change?

If your school once required ProQuest submission, but has since made submission optional, can you share the reason(s) for doing so?

If your school once required ProQuest submission, but has since ceased submission to ProQuest altogether, can you share the reason(s) for doing so?

Has your school never submitted theses and dissertations to ProQuest? If so, can you share the reason(s) for this decision?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. You can respond here, or email me privately.

Thank you,

Sally

Sally R. Evans
Coordinator
University Dissertation & Thesis Services
George Mason University

Danielle Johnson

Dec 16, 2015, 4:45:40 PM12/16/15
to Sally R. Evans, e...@ndltd.org

Hi Sally,

I recently asked a similar question on the ScholComm listserv. It doesn’t address all your questions, but here is a compilation of the responses I received.

Required

·         University of Idaho

·         Kent State University

·         Brigham Young University

·         Wake Forest University

Optional

·         Vancouver Island University

·         Johns Hopkins University

·         Georgia Tech

·         MIT

·         Caltech

·         University of Southern California

·         University of Massachusetts

·         Oregon State University

·         University of Oklahoma

·         Carnegie Mellon

·

This site also provides a list of additional schools that are Proquest optional or have no requirement for submission to Proquest:

http://sites.tdl.org/fuse/?page_id=372

This spreadsheet provides information on a large number of schools ETD practices including whether they require submission to Proquest.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VPrZTfW5ejHzRoluo0ttZwkCY6npqMoZUGjRBdYYH-4/edit#gid=0&vpid=B2

Danielle Whren Johnson

Erin Jerome

Dec 17, 2015, 9:59:19 AM12/17/15
to ETD
Hi Sally,

Here's how we're doing things at Brandeis:

Does your school require submission to ProQuest, for either all or some of your students?

    Required for Ph.D. students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences

If so, do you have any plans to stop requiring submission, and make submission optional? Can you share the reason(s) for making this change?

    We are currently accepting voluntary dissertation submissions to our repository in the hopes that we can stop requiring submissions to ProQuest (pending approval from the Graduate Council).
    We’ve already done this with MA theses with great success and doing so will reduce the graduation fees that doctoral students have to pay in order to get their degrees
.

Or, if you require submission, do you have any plans to cease submission to ProQuest altogether? Can your share the reason(s) for making this change?

    See above.  We’ll only cease the ProQuest submissions is we can pass a mandate through the Graduate Council.

If your school once required ProQuest submission, but has since made submission optional, can you share the reason(s) for doing so? N/A

If your school once required ProQuest submission, but has since ceased submission to ProQuest altogether, can you share the reason(s) for doing so?

    Since we've already moved away from ProQuest for MA theses, we would like to do the same for dissertations.  It's also a cost saving measure for both the Graduate School of Arts and
    Sciences and the doctoral students.  Plus, the Graduate School and Library and Technology Services both see great benefits in making our students' output openly accessible.

I hope this is helpful!

Best,
Erin
---