Processing audio files as part of music Masters and PhD theses

Tirzah Islip

Feb 1, 2017, 7:23:57 PM2/1/17
to e...@ndltd.org

Hi all,

The University of Adelaide is currently retrospectively scanning and uploading all their research theses prior to 2007. We are about to start on the music ones and I’m interested in finding out how other people handle accompanying material such as recital recordings.

Do you make these available online and if so, what formats do you upload them in?

Have you had any concerns about the quality? (most of ours are on cd, but there are a few cassettes)

If you didn’t put the recordings online with the exegesis, how did you make the recordings available, particularly to those accessing the thesis remotely?

Thank you in advance for replies, I would be especially interested in hearing from any Australians who might be on the list.

--

Tirzah Islip

Digitisation Assistant – Retro Thesis Project

Barr Smith Library (Wed-Fri)

University Libraries

The University of Adelaide, SOUTH AUSTRALIA 5005

( +61 8 8313 5243

* tirzah...@adelaide.edu.au

UoA_Uni_Lib_col_horz_sig

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M

IMPORTANT: This message may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you think it was sent to you by mistake, please delete all copies and advise the sender. For the purposes of the SPAM Act 2003, this email is authorised by The University of Adelaide.

Brian Sheppard

Feb 2, 2017, 11:05:33 AM2/2/17
to ETD
At UW-Madison, we make all accompanying files available in our Fedora repository, discoverable via the library catalog. Our workflow is via ProQuest and so accepts deposits as they are. We do generate AES technical metadata for some repository audio objects (aiff and wave only), but this hasn’t yet been extended to ETD attachments.

-Brian

> On February 1, at 6:23 PM, Tirzah Islip <tirzah...@adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> The University of Adelaide is currently retrospectively scanning and uploading all their research theses prior to 2007. We are about to start on the music ones and I’m interested in finding out how other people handle accompanying material such as recital recordings.
>
> Do you make these available online and if so, what formats do you upload them in?
> Have you had any concerns about the quality? (most of ours are on cd, but there are a few cassettes)
> If you didn’t put the recordings online with the exegesis, how did you make the recordings available, particularly to those accessing the thesis remotely?
>
> Thank you in advance for replies, I would be especially interested in hearing from any Australians who might be on the list.
>
> --
> Tirzah Islip
> Digitisation Assistant – Retro Thesis Project
>
> Barr Smith Library (Wed-Fri)
>
> University Libraries
> The University of Adelaide, SOUTH AUSTRALIA 5005
> ( +61 8 8313 5243
> * tirzah...@adelaide.edu.au
> <image001.jpg>
> CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
> IMPORTANT: This message may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you think it was sent to you by mistake, please delete all copies and advise the sender. For the purposes of the SPAM Act 2003, this email is authorised by The University of Adelaide.
>

> --

Brian Sheppard
University of Wisconsin Digital Collections Center
brian.s...@wisc.edu (608) 262-3349

Shari Hill Sweet

Feb 2, 2017, 11:06:45 AM2/2/17
to ETD
Hi, Tirzah,

In the past incarnation of our ETD site, we didn't have the capacity to store large files easily. Our new repository allows much greater flexibility, and we now are able to accept a larger variety of supplemental files with the submission going forward. The format of a given supplemental file is left up to the submitter; we just ask that they contact us in advance so we can find out whether the library has plans to support future upgrades/preservation conversions for that file type, and advise the students accordingly.

Does your library or institution have a digital audio archivist? I would recommend consulting them for recommendations on preferred media and conversion parameters, then make those recommendations available to future submitters.

Regards,

Shari Hill Sweet