Form for requesting embargoes?

Babcock, Renee E

Aug 4, 2015, 10:25:11 AM8/4/15
to e...@ndltd.org
Hi all, our embargo policy is changing beginning with the fall semester to a two year embargo period, instead of one year. We have always allowed embargoes, and we allow the student to remove the embargo on the file if they no longer need it. With out new policy, there will be 2 different embargo types: one the student can release at any time and one the student cannot release (the supervisor must give permission).

We currently require a written letter from the student’s committee chair in order to embargo an ETD. With the new policy going into effect with the fall semester, I think it will be easier if we have a form the student submits to us so that I can clearly see what embargo type is being requested.

I was wondering if any of you have a form students submit to your office for embargoes that you might be willing to share with me, so that I can get some ideas on how to structure our form?

Thanks in advance!

Renee

Renee E. Babcock | Degree Plan Evaluator III | Graduate School | The University of Texas at Austin | (512) 232-3629

Katy Nelson

Oct 8, 2015, 3:50:45 PM10/8/15
to ETD
Hi Renee,
At our school students must request a withholding of their thesis or dissertation from the Faculty of Graduate Studies, on a form submitted to FGS.  When the request is approved by FGS, the repository manager (me) is sent a copy of this form, so that we can determine the type of withholding and make sure the embargo we set on the ETD is correct.
Here is a link to the info about withholding and the form the students must submit.  http://www.uvic.ca/graduatestudies/resourcesfor/students/thesis/withholding/index.php
Hope this helps!
Katy Nelson, UVicSpace librarian, University of Victoria Libraries