ORCIDs for ETD authors?

Thomas Dowling

Apr 29, 2015, 2:34:39 PM4/29/15
to e...@ndltd.org
I saw recently that (a subset of?) OhioLINK schools had begun assign ORCIDs* to authors of ETDs.  I'm curious about who else is doing this.  I'm also curious about how you're exposing the ORCID in your metadata.

* - orcid.org for info.

Gould, Sara

Apr 30, 2015, 5:59:00 AM4/30/15
to Thomas Dowling, e...@ndltd.org

Hi Thomas

In the UK, many institutions are encouraging their research students to get Orcids. See the Jisc ARMA Orcid Pilot for some case studies. http://orcidpilot.jiscinvolve.org/wp/ . Imperial College is one such, so the Orcids should be coming through in the thesis metadata in a few years’ time if not earlier. https://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/blog/openaccess/orcid-at-imperial-college/

The Orcid blog had a post on the topic recently http://orcid.org/blog/2014/03/20/theses-dissertations-orcid

And we have a still-project-status Orcid importer tool for EThOS - http://ethos-orcid.appspot.com/ - which allows researchers to add their EThOS thesis record to their Orcid profile. Here’s an example - http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5417-1655

Best wishes

Sara

Sara Gould

Development Manager, Services for Researchers

The British Library

T: +44 1937 546123

M: 07768467929

sara....@bl.uk

http://ethos.bl.uk

@EThOSBL

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postm...@bl.uk : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.
Think before you print

Daryl M. Grenz

Apr 30, 2015, 7:20:13 AM4/30/15
to e...@ndltd.org

Hi Thomas,

Since September of last year we have been requiring that ORCIDs be added for the student authors of theses and dissertations in our repository (sample: http://repository.kaust.edu.sa/kaust/handle/10754/550888 ). The ORCIDs can also be found in our OAI-PMH output (sample: http://repository.kaust.edu.sa/kaust/oai/request?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=xoai&identifier=oai:repository.kaust.edu.sa:10754/550888 ), albeit probably not in the best way. Since setting up our connection with the ORCID member API in January we are also adding the thesis information to the author's ORCID profile when they give us permissions to do so (sample: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-3593-6522 ).

Regards,

Daryl

Daryl Grenz

Digital Repository Coordinator

Systems and Digital Services Team

University Library |Bldg 12 – Level 3 - Cubicle: 3136-WS12

King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)

Thuwal, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Tel: +966-12-8083630 | Cell: 0568985379

KAUST Repository: http://repository.kaust.edu.sa/kaust/

This message and its contents including attachments are intended solely for the original recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify me immediately and delete this message from your computer system. Any unauthorized use or distribution is prohibited. Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Haines, Lou

Apr 30, 2015, 8:08:08 AM4/30/15
to Thomas Dowling, e...@ndltd.org
Hello Thomas,

OhioLINK installed a link to the ORCID registration earlier this year.  Miami University (Ohio) now requires that all authors of ETD's apply for and link their ORCID number to their OhioLINK submission.

Best regards,

Lou A. Haines
Assistant to the Dean
Director ETD Services
Miami University Graduate School

Sarah Potvin

May 1, 2015, 5:06:09 PM5/1/15
to e...@ndltd.org
Dear Thomas,

Two things:

1. The Texas Digital Library ETD Metadata Group* is currently working to update the Descriptive Metadata Guidelines for ETDs (2008), with a particular focus on integrating metadata updates into Vireo, in cooperation with the Vireo User Group. We are planning to release a draft of our guidelines in Fall 2015 and will include recommendations for including ORCIDs in ETD metadata.

2. Texas A&M is currently storing ORCIDs in a local.etdauthor.orcid field in our DSpace instance (sample: http://oaktrust.library.tamu.edu/handle/1969.1/154229?show=full).

All my best

Sarah Potvin, Digital Scholarship Librarian, Texas A&M University Libraries

*members of the group: Kara Long (Baylor University), Colleen Lyon (University of Texas), Kristi Park (Texas Digital Library), Monica Rivero (Rice University), Santi Thompson (University of Houston), and Sarah Potvin (Texas A&M University)