Image file specifications for ETDs?

Assistant for Theses

Aug 10, 2016, 3:31:59 PM8/10/16
to ETD
Hello all,

I'm the thesis assistant at Simon Fraser; we're working on an update of our student formatting instructions and I'm looking for input on image file formats and resolution.

The current instruction for students preparing a Word file, before converting to a final pdf, is this:

Images should be sized to an equivalent print resolution of 300 pixels per inch/dots per inch.
  • For example, an image 6 inches wide should be 1800 pixels wide to produce an equivalent resolution of 300 ppi.
    6 inches X 300ppi = 1800px.
Is 300 ppi still considered a standard resolution for high-quality print?
We don't specify a preferred file type at the moment. Is there any reason to specify a particular file type? (Put another way - is there any reason to still be using jpgs?)

I appreciate any thoughts.
Thanks
Dave Chokroun
Assistant for Theses

Please see the thesis website for immediate help:  http://www.lib.sfu.ca/theses

Theses Office
7039 W.A.C. Bennett Library
Simon Fraser University 8888 University Drive | Burnaby, B.C., V5A 1S6

Shari Hill Sweet

Aug 11, 2016, 10:31:22 AM8/11/16
to ETD, the...@sfu.ca
Hi, Dave,

I typically recommend that students use Word's built-in Compress Pictures tool to standardize the images at 220 ppi (what Word calls "print resolution"). Since we're not blowing these files up to poster size, neither we nor our students have noticed a reduction in graphics resolution regardless of whether they use JPG or PNG — they look fine when printed or viewed as a PDF.

Additionally, using the tool often reduces PDF file bloat and usually makes it easier to save the file as an Optimized or Archivable PDF.

Thanks,

Shari Hill Sweet
Dissertation/Thesis Editor, Univ. of Notre Dame