Signature Pages

Jason Skoog

Nov 2, 2016, 9:05:11 PM11/2/16
to ETD
Hello,

My predecessor originally designed our ETD system thinking students would submit the papers directly to the IR.  That never happened, and faculty members or departmental administrative assistants have always submitted papers on behalf on students to the IR.  This likely works because we are a small university (2,600 students).

My question: Does anyone think it's necessary to keep collecting signature pages?  The faculty and administrative assistants collect signatures from the research advisor, the dean, and the VPAA.  It has been difficult for faculty and admin assistants to collect all the students.  I can understand if the paper is being submitted by the student, the IR would want proof that it is authorized.  If the research advisor is giving the papers to one faculty or administrative assistant to send to the IR, then is authorization by signature necessary?  Is there any other reason why we would want to collect signatures?

Thank you

Jason Skoog
Archives and Systems Librarian
Viterbo University

Thomas Dowling

Nov 3, 2016, 8:57:13 AM11/3/16
to ETD
There are some good discussions in the group archives (https://groups.google.com/a/ndltd.org/forum/#!searchin/etd/signature). One thing you can count on is that scanned images of faculty signatures should probably not be publicly available, so many schools that collect them have moved to storing them separately from the ETDs.

Thomas Dowling
Director of Technologies, ZSR Library
Wake Forest University
dowl...@wfu.edu / 336-758-5797

Paul Blobaum

Nov 3, 2016, 9:45:00 AM11/3/16
to Jason Skoog, ETD
We definitely collect signature pages, our University counsel asked us to send back capstones that did not have signature pages because the Archives is responsible for maintaining them as part of the student record.   We scan and post to our Digital Commons repository, but do not post publicly.  Where the signatures are also present on some title page or elsewhere in the manuscript, we redact them using Adobe Pro for public posting.

Paul Blobaum, MA, MS                                pblobaum at govst.edu

Professor

Reference and Scholarly Communications Librarian
Liaison to CHHS programs:  Nursing, Social Work, Health Administration, Communications Disorders, Addictions Studies, Community Health
University Library
Governors State University
University Park, IL  60484               7O8 534 4139

Follow my research at http://works.bepress.com/paul_blobaum/