query about landscape pages

Sally R. Evans

Apr 3, 2018, 11:41:08 AM4/3/18
to e...@ndltd.org
If your university's theses and dissertations are all ETDs (i.e., no paper submissions at all), do you require students to change the position of page numbers on landscape-oriented pages? I'm attaching an example that will hopefully illustrate what I mean.

Thank you,

Sally

Sally Evans
Coordinator
University Dissertation & Thesis Services
George Mason University
Portrait v Landscape pagination.docx

Nathalia Bauer

Apr 3, 2018, 4:52:41 PM4/3/18
to Sally R. Evans, e...@ndltd.org

Hello Sally,

We require the page number to always be oriented for the viewer. Students can change this on landscape pages by using section breaks instead of page breaks.

Nathalia Bauer

Assistant Director
Graduate Funding, Professional Development, and Scholarship

UCF College of Graduate Studies

University of Central Florida

Office: 407.823.2739

nathali...@ucf.edu

www.graduate.ucf.edu

Library-ETD

Apr 4, 2018, 12:19:17 PM4/4/18
to Sally R. Evans, e...@ndltd.org

Sally,

Our students are required to do theirs exactly has your example.  But when they convert it to PDF, they are asked to rotate the landscape pages 90 degrees counterclockwise.

Thanks,

Jenifer Ishee Hoffman, M.A., MLIS

Assistant Professor

Coordinator, Office of Thesis and Dissertation Format Review

Mississippi State University

662-325-2170

jhof...@library.msstate.edu

Dept. Website: http://lib.msstate.edu/thesis/

Purdue Thesis Office

Apr 25, 2018, 10:12:32 PM4/25/18
to Library-ETD, Sally R. Evans, e...@ndltd.org
All Purdue theses are required to change the pagination location on landscape pages.

Ashlee Messersmith
Manager, Thesis & Dissertation Office
Purdue University - The Graduate School

Kleister, Jill

Apr 26, 2018, 9:21:55 AM4/26/18
to Purdue Thesis Office, Library-ETD, Sally R. Evans, e...@ndltd.org

Hi Sally,

We instruct students to leave landscape pages landscape with page numbers bottom center (as they are for portrait orientation).  Our thinking is why force readers either turn their heads or have to turn the page themselves in the PDF?  I believe most printers will print landscape pages landscape, so those who download the PDF and wish to print it will have what they need.  The only reason to do it the other way that I can see would be for binding; however, we don’t require a bound copy.

Jill

J. S. Kleister, M.S.

Graduate Reader

Toulouse Graduate School | University of North Texas

Ph: 940.565.2383 | jill.k...@unt.edu | gradschool.unt.edu

cid:image001.jpg@01D28C71.07D83A50

Haines, Lou

Apr 26, 2018, 9:48:41 AM4/26/18
to Kleister, Jill, Purdue Thesis Office, Library-ETD, Sally R. Evans, e...@ndltd.org
Ditto on what Jill K. says.  Exactly.

Best regards,

Lou A. Haines
PGP: She, Her, Hers
Manager, Graduate Student Services
Miami University Graduate School
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Miami+University+graduate+school

Sally R. Evans

Apr 26, 2018, 10:24:28 AM4/26/18
to Haines, Lou, Kleister, Jill, Purdue Thesis Office, Library-ETD, e...@ndltd.org
Thank you to everyone for your input. I'm trying to decide whether to keep requiring this change, as it can be a headache. We don't have printed or bound copies anymore, so I'm trying to decide whether it makes any sense to make them change it. I suppose it's useful if the authors buy bound copies for themselves, but, again, we don't require them. Everything is electronic.

Larry Tague

Apr 26, 2018, 10:54:41 AM4/26/18
to Jill Kleister, Purdue Thesis Office, Sally R. Evans, Etd, Library-ETD
Hi Sally and Jill,

Since our graduate college doesn’t require a bound library copy of ETDs, we don’t worry about page orientation relative to printing. Digital readability is our focus, but since ePub is the “Wild West” with no definition of standards at this time, we still require a paper styled document in PDF-A1b format. We are experimenting with Google Docs saved in PDF format as an alternative because of the built in  digital navigation utility. Google Docs without page numbering are not paper friendly, but we are generating ETDs aren’t we.. Cheers!

Larry

Larry Tague

Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Graduate Health Sciences

University of Tennessee Health Science Center

920 Madison Ave., Suite 807

Memphis, TN 38103

Phone Bus.: 901-448-7152

Library-ETD

Apr 30, 2018, 10:35:02 AM4/30/18
to Larry Tague, Jill Kleister, Purdue Thesis Office, Sally R. Evans, Etd, Library-ETD

Hi all,

This is actually a great discussion, because landscape pages are probably the number one headache for our grad students.  Luckily, we have Word templates and quick parts that will create a landscape page for them (and place the page number in the left margin, so that when it is rotated it appears at the bottom), but they still run into problems rotating them.

So, here’s my question – those of you who don’t require the landscape pages to be rotated – where does the page number go?  If it is at the bottom of the page, and it is printed, it won’t line up with the rest of the document.  But maybe, since like you say, these are e-documents, maybe we shouldn’t worry about that.

Thanks for any input!

Kleister, Jill

May 2, 2018, 1:04:39 AM5/2/18
to Library-ETD, Etd

Hi Jenifer,

At UNT, page numbers need to be placed bottom center.  We don’t change orientation of landscape pages, which means page number goes bottom center, just like all the other pages.

This only becomes an issue with bound copies which are traditionally portrait orientation.  This means the landscape pages get turned 90 degrees so page number would appear center right margin.  However, we don’t require bound copies so it’s not a problem for us.

Hope this makes sense.  J