Corrections to ETDs after published in IR

JC Parandjuk

Mar 10, 2015, 9:21:53 AM3/10/15
to e...@ndltd.org, Julie Farkas
Hello,
I am wondering if any Graduate Colleges on this list have a policy in place regarding the ETDs of students who discover errors or are requesting changes to be made in their ETD years after submission.If anyone has links to policies or information on best practices. An alumni who graduated and defended 2 years ago has discovered error(s) one of which he states is glaring and is requesting to replace his ETD with a corrected version for the IR as well as Pro Quest. Pro Quest has said they would accept. He has contacted his advisor. Some of our campus colleges require print copies of the ETD so one concern is that the ETD online would differ from the bound and printed 2013 one that resides in the college department. Advice please.
Thanks in advance for your time and input,

Joanne C. Parandjuk,  Digital Initiatives Librarian

Manager, Digital Library Rm 221

Florida Atlantic University Libraries

Boca Raton, FL 33431

561.297.0139

Georgianne Bordner

Mar 10, 2015, 9:57:02 AM3/10/15
to JC Parandjuk, e...@ndltd.org, Julie Farkas

This is a great question, similar in some ways to one I got yesterday.  We have an alumna who recently got married, and wants to change her name on her dissertation, which was submitted several years ago under her maiden name.  Her advisor doesn’t think that can or should be done, but I wonder if anyone else has ever dealt with that situation, and if so, how you’ve handled it.

Georgi Bordner

Head of Technical Services

Regent University Library

1000 Regent University Drive

Virginia Beach, VA  23464

(757) 352-4493

(757) 352-4167 (fax)

geo...@regent.edu

Regent University. Christian Leadership to Change the World

Rebecca Bryant

Mar 10, 2015, 10:28:36 AM3/10/15
to JC Parandjuk, e...@ndltd.org, Julie Farkas
At the University of Illinois, Graduate College policy states, "Upon deposit, the thesis becomes part of the student’s academic record.  No changes may be made to a thesis after it has been deposited at the Graduate College." A student may request to make a change to their dissertation or thesis using the Graduate College petition process, which requires the knowledge and support of the student's department and advisor.

When I was in the Illinois Graduate College, we rarely approved requests for changes but instead emphasized to students preparing to deposit that changes following deposit are exceptional.

If the request to make changes are approved, then I think all copies of the document must be updated, including ProQuest and bound copies. I believe this is the student's responsibility.

Best wishes,

Rebecca Bryant

Rebecca Bryant, PhD
rab...@gmail.com  +1-217-493-6344 * Skype: rebecca.bryant75
Time zone: U.S. Central Time  (Illinois) (-6 GMT) @RebeccaBryant18

Read, Max

Mar 10, 2015, 12:00:04 PM3/10/15
to Rebecca Bryant, JC Parandjuk, e...@ndltd.org, Julie Farkas

Essentially the same for us. We don’t allow changes after completed submission; students have asked, but have so far accepted “no” as an answer. It’s the thesis of record, and we warn students that changes will not be allowed. We don’t submit to ProQuest or require bound copies.

Cheers,

mx

Max Read

Associate Director, Student Academic Services

Office of the Dean and Vice-Provost | Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies

The University of British Columbia | Vancouver Campus

Phone 604 822 0283 | Fax 604 822 5802

170 – 6371 Crescent Road | Vancouver, BC  Canada V6T 1Z2

max....@ubc.ca  | www.grad.ubc.ca

Description: cid:image001.png@01CCF0A1.B4BFC790 Description: cid:image002.png@01CCF0A1.B4BFC790 Description: cid:image003.png@01CCF0A1.B4BFC790 Description: cid:image004.png@01CCF0A1.B4BFC790 Description: cid:image005.png@01CCF0A1.B4BFC790

Sally R. Evans

Mar 10, 2015, 3:01:34 PM3/10/15
to Read, Max, Rebecca Bryant, JC Parandjuk, e...@ndltd.org, Julie Farkas
George Mason University adopted the policy in 2013, stating that, once the final copy of a thesis/project/dissertation has been turned in, the only changes students can make regard formatting quirks (E.g., all of the ampersands disappeared when the document was processed as a PDF). Otherwise, any other changes whatsoever (spelling, grammar, references, footnotes, rewording) will not be allowed.

If you have any questions or need any further information, please email me.

Thank you,

Sally

Sally R. Evans
Coordinator
University Dissertation & Thesis Services
George Mason University

Babcock, Renee E

Mar 11, 2015, 10:35:48 AM3/11/15
to e...@ndltd.org
Hi Joanne, at the University of Texas at Austin, we tell students they are not allowed to make any content changes to their ETD after the document has been submitted. We do allow specific formatting changes that we request so that the document meets our formatting standards. There have been times (one this week even) when someone makes a request to make a change in their document. In those cases, the student’s committee chair must submit the request to our dean in writing, stating very specifically what  changes are being requested (what chapter, what subsection, page number, etc.), and why the changes are being requested. Sometimes our deans have allowed this, but it’s not commonly allowed. I should mention this is the policy for when a document has been published to our IR.

There is a period of some months from when the ETD is submitted to our office to when it may be published (can vary from 2-6 months usually). When the document is still in our work queue and hasn’t yet been published, we are given a little more flexibility to allow the document to be replaced, with the letter from the supervisor requesting the specific change. That’s usually more along the lines of a change to the Acknowledgments, and not as frequently a more substantive content change.

We see very few of these requests, maybe 1 or 2 in any given semester.

Renee

Renee E. Babcock | Degree Plan Evaluator III | Graduate School | The University of Texas at Austin | (512) 232-3629

Manager,Digital Library Rm 221

Florida Atlantic University Libraries

Boca Raton, FL 33431

561.297.0139

Leila Belle Sterman

Mar 11, 2015, 1:11:14 PM3/11/15
to e...@ndltd.org, jfar...@fau.edu
In our repository we allow errata or attachments to correct errors (table or figure formatting) which we upload next to the thesis on an item page and make notes in the metadata about things like name changes but do not change the paper itself.

Leila Sterman
Montana State University

Larry Tague

Mar 11, 2015, 5:39:05 PM3/11/15
to Leila Belle Sterman, e...@ndltd.org, jfar...@fau.edu
Hi Leila,

This is an interesting concept to be considered. Since we do not have a large number of ET/Ds per year, we could manage some version of an errata. However, for those folks with lots of manuscripts, it could become a pain in the neck; literally. I suppose it depends on how the process is managed. Thanks for your input.

Larry

Larry Tague
Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Graduate Health Sciences
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
920 Madison Ave., Suite 807
Memphis, TN 38103
Phone Bus.: 901-448-7152

JC Parandjuk

Mar 12, 2015, 2:09:03 PM3/12/15
to e...@ndltd.org, Julie Farkas
Hi All,
I wanted to thank you all for your informative responses on this thread. Our Graduate College felt strongly as well that a final ETD submission is just that and in an effort to assist the former grad now Alum I have simply added his Errata to a note field in the full description MODs record for his online submission. The manuscript remains as it was approved at the time of submission and as part of degree completion.
Thanks,
Joanne