Formatting query

Sally R. Evans

Apr 24, 2018, 10:29:14 AM4/24/18
to e...@ndltd.org
In your institution's formatting guidelines, do you require body text to be double-spaced? Single-spaced? Other? Or do you not have any requirements re: spacing of body text?

Thank you,

Sally

Sally Evans
Coordinator
University Dissertation & Thesis Services
George Mason University

Babcock, Renee E

Apr 24, 2018, 10:33:49 AM4/24/18
to Sally R. Evans, e...@ndltd.org

Hi Sally, we require either 1.5 or double spacing for the text (allowing single spacing for block quotations and table/figure captions).

Renee

Renee E. Babcock, Ph.D. | Degree Plan Evaluator III | Graduate School | The University of Texas at Austin | (512) 232-3629

Visit this group at
https://groups.google.com/a/ndltd.org/group/etd/.
https://groups.google.com/a/ndltd.org/d/msgid/etd/CACc--Xq8odp2pVrsRLZAmuXtaP1q3jmY9i-u-ZJP7mqRcjtB0A%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/a/ndltd.org/d/optout.

Strand, Judith K [G COL]

Apr 24, 2018, 10:34:31 AM4/24/18
to Sally R. Evans, e...@ndltd.org

Iowa State requires double spacing.

Judy

Judy Strand

Iowa State University

Graduate College

jst...@iastate.edu

515-294-5285

Apr 24, 2018, 10:36:09 AM4/24/18
to Sally R. Evans, e...@ndltd.org
Hey, Sally,

We limit our students to either 1.0 or 1.5 in the manuscript text.  No 2.0 line spacing.

Best regards,

Lou A. Haines
PGP: She, Her, Hers
Manager, Graduate Student Services
Miami University Graduate School
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Miami+University+graduate+school

Larry Tague

Apr 29, 2018, 8:49:27 PM4/29/18
to Sally R. Evans, Etd
Sally,

Double-spacing is an antiquated practice based on paper-based editorial needs. If ETDs are truly in the digital world this convention should have been phased out a long time ago. For digital display and readability, we now require single spacing and this has not created any problems for our readers/reviewers. Hopefully the majority of your graduate committee's members are using digital review tools rather than doing paper reviews.  Hope this helps.

Larry

Larry Tague

Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Graduate Health Sciences

University of Tennessee Health Science Center

920 Madison Ave., Suite 807

Memphis, TN 38103

Phone Bus.: 901-448-7152

Sally R. Evans

Apr 30, 2018, 10:27:08 AM4/30/18
to Larry Tague, Etd
Reviews are, indeed, done entirely online. In my office, there are no paper reviews, no paper submissions. Everything is electronic. I can't speak for what other departments and programs within Mason's system are doing.

I hadn't thought about the double-spacing issue until a colleague mentioned it. I've been thinking about that issue, plus my recent landscape query here in the listserv. I may be making some changes to our formatting guidelines.

Library-ETD

Apr 30, 2018, 10:37:41 AM4/30/18
to Sally R. Evans, Larry Tague, Etd

Sally,

Our students are required to use double-spacing for text, but I do see Larry’s point about the readability of a digital file.  Another possible change to implement!

Thanks,

Jenifer Ishee Hoffman, M.A., MLIS

Assistant Professor

Coordinator, Office of Thesis and Dissertation Format Review

Mississippi State University

662-325-2170

jhof...@library.msstate.edu

Dept. Website: http://lib.msstate.edu/thesis/