Geology/Earth Science ETD's with rock collections

Tirzah Islip

May 18, 2017, 2:06:08 AM5/18/17
to e...@ndltd.org

Hello,

This is a rather broad question with further scope than just the ETD area, but something I’ve been thinking about as I’ve been working with our Geology department as part of The University of Adelaide’s project to retrospectively digitise their theses.

Has anyone had any experience or have contacts / information that could point me in the direction of how possible it would be to make a physical rock collection accessible online? Some theses have a rock collection included and they are housed with all the other rock collections in cupboards and drawers of the Geology department. Much of this still has a lot of research and historical relevance and would benefit from being made more widely accessible.

Any information would be helpful!

Thanks, Tirzah Islip

--

Tirzah Islip

Digitisation Assistant – Retro Thesis Project

Please note: I work Wed-Fri

Barr Smith Library

The University of Adelaide, SOUTH AUSTRALIA 5005

( +61 8 8313 5243

* tirzah...@adelaide.edu.au

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M

IMPORTANT: This message may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you think it was sent to you by mistake, please delete all copies and advise the sender. For the purposes of the SPAM Act 2003, this email is authorised by The University of Adelaide.

Think green: read on the screen.

Haines, Lou

May 18, 2017, 9:50:02 AM5/18/17
to Tirzah Islip, e...@ndltd.org
Hello Tirzah,

I have no information whatsoever with regard to this issue, but I contacted our graduate program director in the Department of Geology here at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.  Here is his response, and I hope it is helpful.

Best regards,

Lou A. Haines
Manager, Graduate Student Services
Miami University Graduate School

PGP: She, Her, Hers

Lou,

A lot of museums are moving in this direction in placing a searchable catalog with image information online. A good example is the Mineral Sciences Collection at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County.

A link to their online catalog is:

Aaron Celestian is the curator, acel...@nhm.org  and would be the person to contact about this.

Cheers

John

John Rakovan
Professor of Mineralogy/Geochemistry and Graduate Director
Department of Geology and Environmental Earth Science
Miami University
250 South Patterson Ave.
Rm. 118 Shideler Hall
Executive Editor of Rocks & Minerals

Rhonda Marker

May 18, 2017, 2:20:35 PM5/18/17
to Tirzah Islip, e...@ndltd.org

Hi Tirzah,

The question is how to represent multi-dimensional images. We have a similar scenario with our collection of Roman Republican coins, in which relief details can’t always be represented by a single still image. We could have gone with a video solution, but thought that we could provide better resolution by scanning still images at multiple angles, including obverse, reverse, and edge. (We created our angled cradles using a 3D printer.) http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.7282/T3TX3CB1 However, this proved to be prohibitively labor-intensive (=costly), and now we scan only obverse and reverse. http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.7282/T3F191DP We are watching the development of Reflectance Transformation Imaging (RTI), in which both the object and camera are stationary and a controlled light source is moved to selected positions to capture multiple relief images. http://culturalheritageimaging.org/Technologies/RTI/ This requires the user to download the RTIViewer. Right now, that would be an annoyance to most of our users, but if this kind of technology is more widely adopted, I can see Internet browsers incorporating something like this (as they now do for PDF).

Rhonda

Rhonda J. Marker

Director of Shared User Services

Rutgers University Libraries