Proquest related question - please send comments

Edward Fox

Jul 19, 2017, 11:14:05 PM7/19/17
to Amanda Makula, e...@ndltd.org, Shari Hill Sweet, Brian Sheppard, Kelly Lutz, Larry Tague, Bethany Nash
Hi!  Many thanks for your email, copied below.

I looked back through some old messages and identified a few people who might have comments.
They are cc'ed in this note.
But I hope others might reply too.

Good luck, sincerely, Ed Fox
(Executive Director, NDLTD)

PS I hope you can come to ETD 2017, which is a great place for discussion of such matters.

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Amanda Makula <ama...@sandiego.edu> wrote:
Hello,

For those of you at institutions with a "ProQuest optional" policy for ETDs, what do you tell students who inquire about the benefits/advantages of using ProQuest? And have you had many students ask about this?

Thanks in advance!
Amanda

--

Amanda Y. Makula

Digital Initiatives Librarian

University of San Diego

5998 Alcalá Park

San Diego, CA 92110-2492

Phone: (619) 260-6850

amakula@sandiego.edu

Open access publishing at Digital USD

เอเบิล ฮีทเตอร์

Jul 20, 2017, 7:49:15 AM7/20/17
to ETD, ama...@sandiego.edu, shi...@nd.edu, brian.s...@wisc.edu, kelly...@unlv.edu, lta...@uthsc.edu, bnas...@gmail.com

Haines, Lou

Jul 20, 2017, 8:05:39 AM7/20/17
to Edward Fox, Amanda Makula, e...@ndltd.org, Shari Hill Sweet, Brian Sheppard, Kelly Lutz, Larry Tague, Bethany Nash
Hello Amanda,

Miami University (Ohio) does not require submission to ProQuest.  In the materials I email to the students who are uploading their thesis/dissertation to OhioLINK (our statewide repository), I advise them of the option, tell them what ProQuest is and what it does, and then tell them that the decision is up to them.  Often, when a student questions it further, I ask them to check with their adviser to see what that person's opinion is on the matter.  I try to be completely neutral on the matter and point the student to ProQuest for additional questions since our graduate dean is also neutral on ProQuest.

Honestly, it doesn't come up too much here since our repository in Ohio is really great and our students know that OhioLINK disseminates ETD's worldwide.

Best regards,

Lou A. Haines
Manager, Graduate Student Services
Miami University Graduate School