correcting errors in past theses

Strand, Judith K [G COL]

Oct 20, 2016, 2:22:17 PM10/20/16
to ETD

This perhaps has been addressed before, but…  if you have a past graduate who wants to correct a “deeply flawed thesis,”  what options, if any, do you give them?    Typically, Iowa State does not allow a thesis that has been approved and submitted to be changed at all.    Just curious to see what policies other universities had in place.

Thanks,

Judy Strand

Graduate College

Iowa State University

Babcock, Renee E

Oct 20, 2016, 2:30:23 PM10/20/16
to ETD
Hi Judy, at UT Austin, we do not allow students to make any content changes once they have submitted their ETD to our office. If a thesis is “deeply flawed” it seems the supervising committee should have caught that before the student turned it in. We do require our students to turn in a signature page with the signature of every committee member as part of their submission.

There have been two cases since I’ve worked here (7 years) where a committee supervisor contacted us and stated the document the student uploaded was not the one approved by the committee. In one case, it was caught before we certified degrees, so we allowed the student to swap out their file. The other case lead to the revocation of the degree. But in the case of a former student wanting to essentially give us a rewrite, that is not at all allowed.

Renee

Renee E. Babcock, Ph.D. | Degree Plan Evaluator III | Graduate School | The University of Texas at Austin | (512) 232-3629

Gail McMillan

Oct 20, 2016, 2:30:40 PM10/20/16
to Strand, Judith K [G COL], ETD
Virginia Tech requires that any changes must come from the Graduate School and be approved by the Dean of the Graduate School.

Gail McMillan
Director, Scholarly Communication
Professor, University Libraries
Virginia Tech
orcid.org/0000-0001-8817-3819

Terry M. Owen

Oct 20, 2016, 2:37:41 PM10/20/16
to ETD
All of our ETD's are automatically deposited in our repository (DRUM) and the Grad School implemented the following policy earlier this year:

Students requesting changes to their thesis/dissertation

1. The body of an approved copyrighted dissertation / thesis in DRUM has been approved by a committee after due deliberation and is not open to any change. An author may not replace the existing document with a revised document which entails changes (regardless how minor) to the body of the document (including typographic corrections)

2. An author may include an addendum to the completed document with support of the dissertation chair and written approval from the Graduate School.  The dissertation / thesis chair must be part of the process since the request is to amend a document that has already approved.  The author must submit written request to the Graduate School to replace the document currently in DRUM.  The request should include the proposed addendum and a letter of support from the dissertation chair.  The letter of support from the dissertation chair should confirm that the addendum does not substantively change the content of the document.  The Graduate School will forward the addendum and approval to the Library and the Registrar’s Office and the Library will add the addendum to the record.

Terry M. Owen
Digital Scholarship Librarian
University of Maryland Libraries
College Park, MD 20742-7011
301.314.1328
to...@umd.edu

Digital Repository at the University of Maryland (DRUM)
http://drum.lib.umd.edu/

Read, Max

Oct 20, 2016, 2:43:54 PM10/20/16
to Terry M. Owen, ETD

This is essentially the same process that we follow at the University of British Columbia. The only difference is we call it errata/um rather than addendum, and we provide a template for students to use in listing the changes.

Max Read

Associate Director, Student Academic Services

Office of the Dean and Vice-Provost | Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies

The University of British Columbia | Vancouver Campus

Phone 604 822 0283 | Fax 604 822 5802

170 – 6371 Crescent Road | Vancouver, BC  Canada V6T 1Z2

max....@ubc.ca  | www.grad.ubc.ca

s2b282c2015 (2)

[...]

Image removed by sender.