Amendment notice?

Adrian Ho

Jul 23, 2015, 10:23:36 AM7/23/15
to ETD
Dear colleagues,

Have any of you ever withdrawn an ETD from online access to allow the author to make changes that are needed to correct a data item or protect the confidentiality of research subjects? If so, when the ETD was re-posted online, did you have a notation attached to it, stating that amendments were made? Can you share the text of your “amendment notice” with us in case we need such an action?

Please feel free to contact me on- or off-line.  Thanks in advance for your advice!

Adrian

Stephanie L.

Jul 23, 2015, 3:48:29 PM7/23/15
to ETD, hoad...@gmail.com
Hi Adrian,

In the case of incorrect data, typos, and the like, we would not allow an amendment.  If it was reviewed and approved by the graduate college, it must stand as is. We would, however, remove it from our repository at the request of the author.  There would not be a notice that it was taken down.   We still keep print copies which would continue to circulate despite the errors.

If it was a privacy/confidentiality issue, we would remove it from the repository and depending on the sensitivity, an amended version may be placed in the circulating print collection, or secured in our University Archives.  It all depends on the situation.

Stephanie Larrison
Electronic Resources Librarian
Texas State University