Onsite access

Sally R. Evans

Sep 14, 2017, 11:56:06 AM9/14/17
to e...@ndltd.org
Greetings, colleagues!

If your institution has/had a campus- or system-only option for ETDs, how were you able to achieve this step? What platform did/do you use? How did/do you limit use?

Thank you,

Sally

Sally Evans
Coordinator
University Dissertation & Thesis Services
George Mason University

Brian Sheppard

Sep 14, 2017, 12:10:17 PM9/14/17
to ETD
At UW-Madison we currently have a default one-year campus-only restriction. The restriction is implemented via an authorization policy (XACML policy) linked to the Fedora repository object that allows access only via campus IP ranges. To remove the restriction, we have a nightly process that queries the repo for expired restrictions and then removes the link to the authorization policy for those ETDs.

B-
> --

—————————————————————————————
Brian Sheppard
UW Digital Collections Center
brian.s...@wisc.edu

Monika C. Mevenkamp

Sep 14, 2017, 1:55:16 PM9/14/17
to Brian Sheppard, ETD
We use DSpace to host our Senior Thesis collections, which restrict access to the actual thesis documents to the Campus network.
We implement that with an IP based access group attached to the READ action for files.

Monika

Monika Mevenkamp
Digital Repository Infrastructure Developer
Princeton University
Phone: 609-258-4161
Skype: mo-meven
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/ndltd.org/d/msgid/etd/9DF26FA2-1FD2-41BC-A927-E14581F7DC2E%40wisc.edu.

Sally R. Evans

Jun 25, 2019, 4:21:41 PM6/25/19
to Etd
Thank you to everyone for your input.

I just wanted to check back in to see if anyone had any further suggestions, solutions, etc. for campus-only access, specifically if your institution does something like this:

We would like to allow access to embargoed ETDs by providing a fixed laptop (or a few, depending on demand) from which no one can print, download, or email material. This specific laptop could only be used in one place (say the Special Collections Reading Room), and the user would have to sign in (which is how it worked before, with loose paper copies in the SCRR).

Does anyone else have a similar system? If so, how did you implement it? Have you seen any major problems or issues?

I appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Thank you,

Sally

Sally R Evans