Name change request on thesis for divorced/remarried student

Jaime Goldman

Apr 24, 2018, 9:49:04 AM4/24/18
to ETD
Hi everyone.  We recently received an official request through our university's Enrollment Processing Services department asking us to change a student's last name on their print thesis copy, catalog record of that thesis, and IR digital copy.  This includes updating the title and signature pages with their new last name in both the bound print copy and the online IR copy.  They went through a divorce after graduating and have since been remarried, and would like their new name reflected on their work from 2009.  The alumni has requested that their name be changed on on school documents, and the university has complied, and this is the last change she is requesting.

Has anyone else run into this?  Did you keep the original author name or update it per the request?

Thank you,

Jaime

Rhonda Marker

Apr 24, 2018, 10:17:37 AM4/24/18
to Jaime Goldman, ETD

We had a similar kind of request (details were somewhat different), and the request for the changed name was approved by the graduate school and the school’s registrar. Our repository versions all datastreams, so we retained the original submission as a previous version not available for public display. The descriptive metadata was also updated and “ditto” for the previous version of the metadata datastream.

Rhonda J. Marker

Director of Shared User Services

Rutgers University Libraries

Eberhard R. Hilf

Apr 24, 2018, 1:25:27 PM4/24/18
to Rhonda Marker, Jaime Goldman, ETD
dear Goldman,
there is no need to bother for a name change, or even changing the author
names posthum, provided you require obligatory for all theses that the
metadata contain the orcid.org scientific author identification name of
the authors. if you did not do up to then, start with this case.
all the best, Eberhard
https://web.archive.org/web/20110930183555/http://www.euroscience.org/author-identification,28115,en.html
Eberhard R. Hilf
Institute for Science Networking Oldenburg GmbH (ISN) an der Carl von
Ossietzky Universitaet; Ammerlaender Heerstr.121, D-26129 Oldenburg
ISN: http://www.isn-oldenburg.de
hi...@isn-oldenburg.de
http://isn-oldenburg.de/~hilf
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Eberhard_R_Hilf/
Scientific Author-Identification: ORCID-ID: 0000-0002-5910-3819