Crypto Symposium virtual (and free) this year, May 11-12

Elonka Dunin

May 6, 2022, 9:43:15 PM5/6/22
to ro...@nashville2600.org
Hi all, for the crypto folk, here's a rare opportunity to peek into an unusual conference.

Once every two years there is a Cryptologic History Symposium hosted in Washington DC. This is often a very difficult topic for historians, because at the time that some particulture codes were being used (generally in wartime) everything is classified. Some number of decades later, things are eventually declassified, at which time the historians are allowed to dig in, and research can be presented in public venues.

So, at this point in time we are still discussing *new* research on ciphers from the 1940s (WWII), 1950s (Korean War), and later.

There are also, of course, plenty of other topics of Cryptologic History, going back centuries or covering various pop culture topics.

The Symposium, which I have been attending for many years, is generally a quiet 2-day affair with a couple hundred academics and a few hobbyists. This year though, because of the pandemic, the Symposium will be available virtually, for free, and open to the public.

If you have any interest in this topic, I encourage you to take a look, or if nothing else to at least scan the agenda (all of which I find fascinating, and I wish I could attend multiple talks at once!).

And of course, Klaus and I will both be speaking, on the second day in Session 8C on "The encrypted life-after-death experiments of Dr. Robert Thouless".

The PDF program can be downloaded here (I've also attached a copy to this email): https://cryptologicfoundation.org/what-we-do/educate/conferences/symposium.html

2022 Preliminary Program_20220420.pdf