Bluetooth incompatibility

John Eldredge

Jan 31, 2022, 2:34:46 PM1/31/22
to Nashville 2600 List
Has anyone heard of certain phones' Bluetooth not being compatible with certain cars? I have a Moto G Stylus phone, and a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage ES car. The phone works fine with my Bluetooth headphones. With the car, I was able to pair the phone, and I get a ringtone over the car's sound system when a call comes in, but the call audio itself does not route through the car audio. Mitsubishi says my phone Bluetooth is not compatible with the car Bluetooth.

Elizabeth Greene

Jan 31, 2022, 2:45:27 PM1/31/22
to ro...@nashville2600.org
My experience with Bluetooth in rental and used cars is almost universally garbage. I don't think they do any  compatibility testing beyond the phone that happens to be in the engineer's pocket.

E.g. I drove a rental Buick SUV that Bluetooth connecting an iPhone 6 caused the Media system to crash and required rebooting to fix.  (Turning the car off and back on).  A 2011 equinox would only pair Bluetooth on that phone 1 time in 3 and music playback only worked via USB. A 2014 Mazda CX-9 and iPhone 11 that requires manual re-pairing every couple of weeks. Etc.

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022, 1:34 PM John Eldredge <jo...@nashville2600.org> wrote:
Has anyone heard of certain phones' Bluetooth not being compatible with certain cars? I have a Moto G Stylus phone, and a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage ES car. The phone works fine with my Bluetooth headphones. With the car, I was able to pair the phone, and I get a ringtone over the car's sound system when a call comes in, but the call audio itself does not route through the car audio. Mitsubishi says my phone Bluetooth is not compatible with the car Bluetooth.

McKinley Tabor

Jan 31, 2022, 2:59:57 PM1/31/22
to Root discussions for Nashville 2600, jo...@nashville2600.org
It probably has to do with Bluetooth “profiles”.  According to this (http://origin.static.mitsubishicars.com/pdf/owners/owners-manuals/P01550.pdf), it looks like your car only supports The Hands-Free (HFP) and Phonebook Access (PBAP) Profiles. According to this (https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/4c9352f1) your phone supports the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP).

A2DP is the newer better profile for Audio and Calls, so I’m not surprised that your headphones support it, it’s rather odd that your car from 2017 doesn’t support it, but instead uses the older HFP. (Car manufactures are notorious for being way behind in terms of infotainment and mapping)

I “think” Bluetooth profiles are a function of software, is it may be possible to use an App to serve as a bridge for your car allowing HFP.

Another option is that the Headunit in the car looks like a standard Double Dinn sized infotainment system. (If it’s the model with the screen). You can pick up after market headunits with better bluetooth and even Android Auto support.

Dagmar d'Surreal

Jan 31, 2022, 3:02:41 PM1/31/22
to ro...@nashville2600.org
Well, I have good news and I have bad news.

The bad news is that your phone doesn't appear to support much of anything with respect to Bluetooth codecs (things like AAC and aptX).  See also https://bluetoothcheck.com/d/motorola-moto-g-stylus

The good news is that it won't cost anything should you try someone else's phone, which will probably confirm that the issue is that the G isn't compatible with much.

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 1:34 PM John Eldredge <jo...@nashville2600.org> wrote:
Has anyone heard of certain phones' Bluetooth not being compatible with certain cars? I have a Moto G Stylus phone, and a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage ES car. The phone works fine with my Bluetooth headphones. With the car, I was able to pair the phone, and I get a ringtone over the car's sound system when a call comes in, but the call audio itself does not route through the car audio. Mitsubishi says my phone Bluetooth is not compatible with the car Bluetooth.

Sent from an actual computer.

Oddball

Jan 31, 2022, 7:28:34 PM1/31/22
to ro...@nashville2600.org
And people wonder why I continue to want to have a headset port on my phone.

Dagmar d'Surreal

Jan 31, 2022, 8:34:21 PM1/31/22
to ro...@nashville2600.org
'cuz you like that retro bondage look?

In all honesty the issue here is mainly that the phone appears to just barely support Bluetooth.  If there's an AUX port available Amazon has a number of cheap-ass Bluetooth recievers that may well kill this problem, because China just doesn't care about IP restrictions.