Historic lords data?

a.lu...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2019, 6:08:42 AM12/31/19
to TheyWorkForYou
Hi there – happy new year in advance!

I’m looking into historic lords data, but with limited success. Can anyone point me to the best source?

The TWFY API / parlparse don’t seem to include historic lords data. I’m not sure how far back the lords data they have goes. In fact, I’m not sure I understand the current lords data there, either. Parliament says there are 810 lords, or which 795 are eligible:

Wikipedia agrees… But TWFY / parlparse appear to suggest there are more than 900:

Historic hansard is really useful, but it only goes up to 2005:

Any help would be much appreciated!
Andy

a.lu...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2020, 9:03:59 AM1/4/20
to TheyWorkForYou, a.lu...@gmail.com
Answering my own question here…

The source that parlparse uses is the Members' Names Data Platform on data dot parliament.
It looks as though this is probably fine for the past 15 years of data. Before that, historic-hansard goes back to 1800.

I think there is an issue with parlparse / TWFY lords data, which probably needs updating from source to add some missing `end_date`s and `end_reason`s. I’ve created a ticket for that:
Andy