Suggestion: Display planned_reports users instead of report_inspect users in assignment dropdown

Jon Kristensen

Jun 17, 2024, 9:29:54 AMJun 17
to FixMyStreet
Hi!

The assignment dropdown in the inspection form shows all users with the report_inspect (Assign problem reports to users) permission. However, users can have the planned_reports (Manage shortlist) permission without having the report_inspect (Assign problem reports to users) permission. I created a GitHub issue for this in https://github.com/mysociety/fixmystreet/issues/4970.

I'm wondering if it would make sense to display the users that have the Manage shortlist (planned_reports) permission in the assignment dropdown menu instead. In other words, something like replacing...

[% inspectors = c.user.from_body.staff_with_permission('report_inspect') %]

... with...

[% inspectors = c.user.from_body.staff_with_permission('planned_reports') %]

... in templates/web/base/report/inspect/assignment.html.

What do you think?

All the best,
Jon

Matthew Somerville

Jun 20, 2024, 9:13:03 AMJun 20
to FixMyStreet
Hi,

Yes, it's not totally consistent, is it. I believe this was originally deliberate, in that when this was added, it was only a subset of the people who have the 'planned_reports' permission who would need to be "assigned" things, and that subset was the people who held the 'report_inspect' permission.
But it is confusing, if people can manage their shortlists but not be involved in the assignment part of it.
I imagine we can either change it as you suggest, or perhaps combine the two, so it's staff with either of those permissions.
Or at worst, have some configuration to have different behaviour, with a more consistent one being the default.
I'll go away and see what we have set up and if that would impact on any uses we can think of.

ATB,
Matthew