Account deletion requirements of the updated Data safety section on Google Play

Jon Kristensen

Dec 6, 2023, 3:44:46 PM12/6/23
to FixMyStreet
Hi, everyone!

Google Play is in the process of rolling out an updated Data safety section where users should be able to request that their accounts are deleted. Action is required on Google Play by December 7th, but requests for deadline extensions can be made.

In short, any app that allows users to create an account must also offer a way for the users to request that their accounts and data be deleted.

These requests should be possible to make both through the app (“in-app-path”) and through a web link resource.

What do you think, is it enough to point users to our contact forms or do we need to add the account removal functionality to the account settings? Is there anything else we may need to do in order to comply with the new requirements?

More information:

All the best,
Jon