Populating our own Mapit Server.

Harry Preswick

Nov 14, 2023, 12:23:35 PM11/14/23
to FixMyStreet
Hello FixMyStreet Community,

I have built a Mapit server to support our FMS build. Could someone explain what data it requires to be imported ? I have read the docs but it is not obvious.

I read that Mapit can take various inputs:
https://mapit.mysociety.org/overview#inputs-outputs

MapIt matches points and boundaries. It can be used with:

  • postcodes and partial postcodes
  • latitudes and longitudes
  • National Grid co-ordinates
  • administrative areas such as wards, super output areas, parliamentary constituencies and more
If the OSM geocoder returns the position after sending it anything like a post code, WGS84 position, town or street name, what does FMS send to the Mapit server ? Is it just a postcode ? Also, does it do this after the response from the geocoder ?

Do I just need to set up the mapit boundary then populate it with postcodes of that area ?

Thanks, Harry

Harry Preswick

Nov 23, 2023, 9:54:32 AM11/23/23
to FixMyStreet, Harry Preswick
From a FixMyStreet diagram I found, it appears FMS send the Long Lat to Mapit.
Does anyone know where I can import the council/ polygon Mapit data from ?
Thanks.

Harry Preswick

Nov 30, 2023, 2:16:56 PM11/30/23
to FixMyStreet, Harry Preswick
I have located the data sets now, but the instructions on the mapit website may need clarification.
For example:
o    When you say "a data directory" is that any temporary directory ?
o    Should we be in a specific directory to run the py manage script ?

I see the mapit instruction page has changed today. Some of the instructions have been reworded.
Can we expect more changes today?
Is there any chance you could timestamp the webpages so we know where we are ?
Also, can someone from mapit try and run a full import on the the UK boundary data and see if it works?
We are so close.