Franklin connecting error or new Athena Board

Matthew Andres

Jan 25, 2021, 9:18:50 AM1/25/21
to MOST Delta Users
Hey all,

I built one of the original Athenas back in 2015 and it recently stopped working (Repetier stopped opening up). I am not sure whats wrong. I flashed Franlkin thinking it might have been something with the software and I am able to open Franklin but then I get the attached error when trying to connect the printer. I am not sure if something is wrong with my Melzi board or not but I thought I would upgrade to the new hardware (orange pi and athena board). Do you know how I can get an athena board that is in the BOM or if there is an easy fix to my error?

Thanks,
Matthew Andres

error.png

Matt

Jan 25, 2021, 11:15:40 AM1/25/21
to MOST Delta Users, Matthew Andres
There were two bridge board versions to connect the melzi to the beaglebone. Named V1 and V2 of course. It looks like Franklin is trying to connect using V2. An old Athena like yours us likely using V1. You need to "upgrade" Franklin to V1 before trying to connect to the Melzi.
READ the readme, and follow the steps as specified to upgrade to bridge_V1
Then it should connect as you had hoped.

Matthew Andres

Jan 25, 2021, 11:32:04 AM1/25/21
to MOST Delta Users, Matt, Matthew Andres
Thanks for the reply Matt,

I did try added the file for V1 as you are right I believe I have the original bridge board. I got this error after trying that.
Is there a way to confirm Franklin was upgraded? Am I supposed to see an option for V1 in the dropdown of the setup for franklin?

I cleared a jump drive and added bridge_v1.gpg as the only file on the drive and followed the instructions from there.

Thanks for the help!
Matthew Andres

Matt

Jan 25, 2021, 11:42:59 AM1/25/21
to MOST Delta Users, Matthew Andres, Matt
V1_screenshot.JPG
On the printers that use V1, this is the screen shot from Franklin.
When putting the bridgeV1 on the jump drive, I assume you clicked RAW and all of that to load the file onto the jump drive.
I have the printer unplugged, insert the jump drive, power the printer up, and after installing the upgrade the printer shuts off on its own. Then bridgeboard v1 appears as the only option for Upload.

Matthew Andres

Jan 25, 2021, 11:49:28 AM1/25/21
to MOST Delta Users, Matt, Matthew Andres
okay yeah it seems like I am having a problem uploading the upgrade. I will look into that. Thanks!

I grabbed the lastest version from here for the image: http://most.mse.mtu.edu/franklin/ is that okay to use?

Dr. Bas Wijnen

Sep 12, 2021, 3:45:18 AM9/12/21
to Matthew Andres, MOST Delta Users, Matt
Hi,

I'm just catching up on my email now and saw this thread. Has your problem been
solved?

Thanks,
Bas