New stable Franklin version

Dr. Bas Wijnen

Mar 29, 2022, 3:31:31 AM3/29/22
to MOST Delta Users
Hello,

As promised in a recent e-mail, I've finally fixed a lot of issues in Franklin
and pushed the release into the stable branch. In this e-mail I'll give some
highlights and explain how you can use the new version.

==========
Highlights
==========

The main feature that has been added is the movement control. In the previous
properly working version, movement was pretty rough. Now it limits not only the
speed, but also the acceleration and more importantly the jerk.

While working on that, I broke another major feature of the system, which is
the ability to make changes to settings while the machine is running. This has
unfortunately be broken for several years due to other priorities in my life.
Which is why I'm all the more happy that that is working again with this new
version.

Besides this, several internals have been changed that shouldn't affect regular
users. However, if you have special needs, your life my have been made easier.
In particular by the separation of the machine geometry (cartesian, delta,
polar, etc). That makes it very easy to add support for any new machine you may
want to build.

===========================
How to use this new version
===========================

0. Connect to Franklin and download your machine profile(s) to your local
computer.

1. Connect to the mini-computer on your printer (BeagleBone for older versions,
OrangePi Zero for newer versions) using the Putty (or any other) ssh client.

2. If there is a directory franklin there, remove it (rm -r franklin) or move
it out of the way (mv franklin franklin.2022-03-29)

3. Download the new version: git clone https://github.com/mtu-most/franklin

4. Enter the source directory: cd franklin

5. Build and install everything: make

6. Connect to the web interface and under the + tab, upload the firmware.

7. If for some reason your profile is lost, import the file that you saved at
step 0.

Note: step 2 and 3 should be used instead of the normal way of updating,
because the default branch has been renamed from "master" to "stable".

That's it. I hope this fixes any issues you are having. In case you run into
anything, please let me know either on this list or in the issue tracker on
Github.

Thanks,
Bas

Ben Hubbard

Mar 31, 2022, 8:39:08 PM3/31/22
to MOST Delta Users, bwi...@mtu.edu
Thanks for sharing Bas! I'm going through the update right now and will run some prints soon - I'll let you know if I see any issues.

As I'm running standard updates (my pi hasn't updated since 2019), I'm getting warnings that debian buster has fallen into 'oldstable'. What's the OS support of franklin - strictly debian buster, any debian distro, anything Linux?

Thanks again,
Ben