Updating Franklin, use stable branch or broken?

Daniel Brinks

Nov 29, 2022, 5:37:52 PM11/29/22
to MOST Delta Users, Dr. Bas Wijnen
Hi Bas/all,

I'm working on updating to the latest version of franklin, on my orangepi based AthenaII. I've been following the steps at https://www.appropedia.org/Athena_Board_Firmware#Update_Franklin and supplementing with the email thread "Unable to locate doxypy (Issue #74)".

At one point you mention,
> I've fixed some errors yesterday and pushed them to the broken branch. If you're not using that, you should: one of the problems could cause it to crash while homing.
> I'm planning to make it a release soon.

Did this ever make it to release/stable? Just wondering which to attempt here.

-Dan

Bas Wijnen

Dec 4, 2022, 3:21:35 PM12/4/22
to Daniel Brinks, MOST Delta Users
Hi Daniel,

To be honest, I'm not sure what I have published in stable at the moment.

What I do know is that what I'm running here is working well. But I haven't
published it yet (not even to broken), because it uses a new system I wrote
that replaces the Arduino libraries, and that system is itself not published
yet.

If you want, I can send it to you. It needs some polishing though, so you'll
need some instructions. Just send me a message off-list if you want to try it.

If not, I think the current broken branch should be good, so I think you should
try that. But I'm not entirely sure. Also, I think it may be hard to build
franklin if your system is Debian stable. Debian testing and unstable should
both be fine.

Thanks,
Bas

Daniel Brinks

Dec 6, 2022, 7:51:51 PM12/6/22
to Bas Wijnen, MOST Delta Users
Thanks, Bas. I was able to git clone the broken branch and got Franklin working from there. I think certificates are out of date on my orangePi, I had to edit the makefile to do a wget --no-check-certificate.
It's been working OK, with a few oddities here and there. I notice specifically the printer can get stuck sometimes when homing, after at least 1 limit switch has been hit. Usually, I can manually push on one of the carriages (enough so the limit switch is not being hit) and the machine will resume homing.

I think I'm fine sticking with the current version of Franklin I've got.

You mentioned in a previous email:
> ...While working on that, I broke another major feature of the system, which is the ability to make changes to settings while the machine is running. This ... is working again with this new version.

How does this work? I've attempted to change things like the z-height (which doesn't seem to work during a print), or to adjust this by setting the all-motors switch position (which does something but often results in missing steps/motors grinding/failed print). Adjusting my extrusion % during print might be working - still results in some odd noises and I suspect missed extrusion steps.

I'm very curious about this feature, it was one of the reasons I upgraded. Am I doing something wrong here? Thanks for your time on this project and any help you can provide, Bas!

-Dan

Bas Wijnen

Feb 21, 2023, 2:10:46 AM2/21/23
to Daniel Brinks, MOST Delta Users
Hi,

I should have responded to this much earlier of course. Sorry about that.

I'm not sure what is currently on github. If the live adjustment doesn't work,
then apparently that's only on my machine here.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to complete the transition to my new
Arduino-replacement code, so for now I just pushed all of it to github. If you
want to use it, here's what you need to know:

The library is at https://github.com/wijnen/amat .
You need to upload the firmware from the source tree; uploading from the
interface probably doesn't work at the moment.

I don't have time now to explain more, but if you have questions, I'll answer
them later (hopefully not as much later as this time).

Oh, and in case anyone is interested in helping out, pull requests are welcome
of course.

Thanks,
Bas

Bas Wijnen

Jun 3, 2023, 7:13:17 AM6/3/23
to Daniel Brinks, MOST Delta Users
Hello,

As an update to this: I just completed the transition and have pushed the new
code to the broken branch. It now works properly (at least for me, but I
welcome more testing). It can also flash firmware from the web interface again
(that was broken for a while).

So please try it out, if you know how to build it from the broken branch. And
if you don't know, but would like to try, let me know and I'll explain it.

Thanks,
Bas