Connecting Beaglebone to Melzi via USB

Nathan Mihalek

Jan 31, 2022, 2:54:56 PM1/31/22
to MOST Delta Users
So, my bridgeboard has failed.  I thought I read it was possible to connect the melzi to the beaglebone (green in my case) via usb.  When I connect them via usb and boot, franklin loads and connects to the pc. But I only get the green screen saying that franklin can't connect to the printer.  When looking at the connection choices for beagle bone it only shows connection via bridge board.  How do I go about connecting via usb instead?

Thanks-
Nate

Nathan Mihalek

Jan 31, 2022, 3:08:03 PM1/31/22
to MOST Delta Users, Nathan Mihalek
So to clarify, I am running a beaglebone green, melzi board 1, on an Athena Build.

Chet Craw

Feb 1, 2022, 9:06:28 AM2/1/22
to MOST Delta Users
MOSTers,

I have an Athena printer that I am no longer using (I got a Creality CR-10 as a present). It still prints fine, but can't keep up with the Creality. Does anyone on this list know anyone that would like a printer? It would be great to pass it on to someone just getting started in 3D printing.

Thanks,

Chet

Message has been deleted

Matt VanArsdale

Feb 6, 2022, 10:45:44 PM2/6/22
to MOST Delta Users, chet...@gmail.com, MOST Delta Users
Hi Chet, where are you located?

Dr. Bas Wijnen

Feb 8, 2022, 11:11:33 AM2/8/22
to Nathan Mihalek, MOST Delta Users
Hi,

You will need to edit some settings on the BeagleBone. This means you will need
to make a connection using the ssh protocol from your pc. Assuming you have
Windows, you'll need to install putty for this. Any other systems should have
the ssh program installed already.

Unless it was changed, the username is debian and the password is reprap.

When you are logged in, you should be able to edit /etc/default/franklin using
the command:

sudo nano /etc/default/franklin

The nano editor is pretty simple; all commands you need are listed at the
bottom (hold control while pressing the key).

I think there is probably a whitelist defined in that file. If not, you should
probably do that (and remove the blacklist, if any).

Define the whitelist using:

WHITELIST='/dev/tty(USB|ACM)'

There should be no spaces anywhere on that line.

Note that this will make it ONLY check the USB connection, so don't do this on
a machine which should still work with a bridge board.

Also, just to be sure: the Melzi needs to be plugged into the USB port of the
Beaglebone, not on the PC.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, just ask.

Thanks,
Bas