Digital Commons @ Michigan Tech Reaches One Million Downloads

Faith Morrison

Dec 16, 2019, 9:52:29 AM12/16/19
to Friends of the Michigan Tech Library News List
Digital Commons @ Michigan Tech Reaches One Million Downloads

by Van Pelt and Opie Library

Digital Commons @ Michigan Tech, the University’s digital repository, is celebrating one million downloads.

Launched in 2014 by the Van Pelt and Opie Library, the repository provides worldwide access to research, scholarship, campus publications and other creative works by members of the Michigan Tech community. Download 1,000,000 occurred last Thursday. While there’s no way to pinpoint which author can claim the title of “Download One Million,” we do know that Thomas Werner’s open access book “Drosophilids of the Midwest and Northeast” was accessed the most on Thursday and was downloaded more than 70 times.

The most popular student work since launch is Kacy Crawford’s master’s report titled “Determination of bulk density of rock core using standard industry methods, which boasts more than 19,800 downloads since it was uploaded in 2014.

The most popular faculty work since launch is “Laboratory Techniques: Slide Preparation and Stains,” a subchapter of Janice Glimes’ open access book Bryophyte Ecology. This subchapter was made available on the repository in 2016 and has been downloaded by users more than 3,250 times. Explore more of Bryophyte Ecology here.

To date, the repository contains records for more than 6,500 scholarly works, and users from around the world have downloaded content more than 240,000 times in the past year.

To view even more usage data, visit the Digital Commons @ Michigan Tech Readership Dashboard.

If you’re interested in making your scholarly work accessible online to a worldwide audience, email lib...@mtu.edu to learn how.