Did You Know That at the Van Pelt and Opie Library ...

Faith Morrison

Feb 6, 2020, 8:53:14 AM2/6/20
to Friends of the Michigan Tech Library News List
Did You Know That at the Van Pelt and Opie Library ...
by Van Pelt and Opie Library

Did you know that the garden level of the library has a time machine? The Michigan Tech Archives provides a place for staff, faculty, students, and community members to engage with the past by researching our local and university history. The archives are open to all.

Use our collections to conduct research for University and department activities, assist with alumni relations, or even conduct family history research. Popular topics include mining company research, obituary requests in the newspaper collection, Michigan Tech recreation and traditions, such as Winter Carnival, and property history research.

While most of our collections are intended for onsite use within the archives public reading room, the library maintains the Copper Country Historical Images (CCHI) database which makes available more than 11,000 images from the region and the University. You can do a keyword search on the CCHI section of the library website.

For more information about the services available in the archives, stop into the reading room from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, noon to 5 p.m. on the Second Saturday of each month, call 7-2505, or cop...@mtu.edu">email us.

Our archivists are also available for one-on-one or small group orientations, tours, and research consultations to help familiarize you with the unique aspects of archives research.